Leak between oil filter and engine

lethargichamster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had a slow leak for around a year now.
I've taken the undertray off and given the sump a wipe down. Left it overnight and noticed a trickle of oil coming from between the oil filter area and the engine.

I raised the front using a makeshift ramp and left the engine running for around 30 minutes - no noticable oil.
When I drove off the ramp, there was a small pool of oil collecting on a ledge on the engine which then spilled over.

I had a look up inside and saw there was a smaller cylinder (Pritt stick sized-ish) with what I think was a torx head that had a drip of what I assume is the leaking oil. Unfortunately I couldn't get my phone up in there to take a picture.

I've attached some photos that hopefully make it a bit clearer.

The car is due its service now, so I was hoping if anyone had any advice about what it could be / whether there is anything specific that I should ask the garage to have a look at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 134
Its worth them checking the plastic oil filter housing when its removed for service, they can get hairline cracks over time and leak.

A bit off topic but how long have you had the car for?

My old a3 had a similar problem which lead to its demise.

It's a 2005 model, I've had it for around 8 years now.
I took it into the garage today, and they found that one of the oil filter housing gaskets had gone bad. I reckon there's been a small leak there for years now.