Brembo Warped drilled discs - need your input

Aky

Aky
Reaction score
I've been speaking with Triple P and they have agreed to send me a new set of drilled discs, with discount as this is all they have in stock. To aid my warranty claim against Brembo they have asked for ASNET to provide all info from each GT KIT user who has suffered from warped & cracked discs. This should also aid all future claims for failures. If you have suffered from cracked/warped Brembo discs on your A3/S3/TT/LCR/MK4 etc please reply to this thread.

Regards

Matt

I would be surprised on any warranty being honoured for cracked drilled disks TBH, as thats what they can do no matter who makes em.

Consider 2 piece disks and friendlier pads perhaps if you get them hot enough to warp (if they are warped and not pad pickup)

I understand that but at £125 each they are not cheap and Brembo are seen as a reputable company with excellent products - basically what they are selling are not fit for purpose and if nobody speaks up about this then they are none the wiser.

IMO its due to poor runningin proceedure......the recommended brembo proceedure is poor!

I go out, lightly bed them in, then do several stops from very high speed, so they are fading and you get white smoke off them, then, wihtout stopping at all, drive gently on a motorway etc for about 20 minutes, without using them, so they cool while rotating and you dont get hot spots under the pads.
That work hardens them and lets them cool without warping.
All this light use and gentle driving is no good if they are hot when you stop and 7 /8 of the disk cools in the air and 1/8 does not cos the pad retains the heat in that area........that's why they warp !

BTW I will be having solid disks at replacement, I am fed up of cleaning the brake dust out of the holes!

Aky said:
I understand that but at £125 each they are not cheap and Brembo are seen as a reputable company with excellent products - basically what they are selling are not fit for purpose and if nobody speaks up about this then they are none the wiser.

I hear what you are saying, and sympathise. However.... how you use em and bed them in, what pads you choose to use etc, all contribute to disk life etc.
Judder is not always warped disks (over heated) but can also be from pad pickup from pad material type being inappropriate to simply not bedded in properly on initial fitment and run in.

Not fit for purpose claim is on soft ground I fear.

Stock 323x28 plain brembo disks are adequate for the road use they are intended... but EVERY disk on the market can be driven to destruction, trust me. They are not 100% customer-proof sadly.

{been there and done that}

Sorry to dig this up from the grave but just to let you all know Brembo have refunded me for the warped discs. Not because they have done all their investigations and accepted they were at fault but because they haven't done a thing with the discs despite having them 6 weeks!!

Aky said:
Sorry to dig this up from the grave but just to let you all know Brembo have refunded me for the warped discs. Not because they have done all their investigations and accepted they were at fault but because they haven't done a thing with the discs despite having them 6 weeks!!

Lucky you, good luck with the new set, it'll only happen again over time.

Oh no... after re-incarnating another thread to do with Brembo GT kit, I found this one.

I've done just under 3000 miles with these brakes, and found that after a trackday their judder badly under braking. Can't believe it!!

Backdraft tell me that there is no warranty to cover warped discs... That is such a downer...:ermm:

Reading this thread suggests that there is some come back on warped discs.
So anyone know how I can get in contact with Brembo to claim on a new set of discs if my discs are warped?

Also i forgot to mention. I get a strong burning smell when I use the brakes. Even under normal braking on the road.

don't know if anyone else has experienced this with Brembo GTs. I notice also that the holes in the disc are clogged up too.

I went on website and contacted Brembo, who use GP Automotive. Don't tell them about doing a track day and say you've used the correct procedure for bedding in.

I initially had to buy some and they took mine and never did any investigations so after about 2 months I chased them and they refunded the money for new discs and returned old ones. I need to get old ones skimmed and sold.

Glen, I warped mine after a track session after covering little over 1k miles mate, I was gutted and only running remapped power, so your big turbo power is going to induce some serious heat.

That's disgraceful... And I thought getting the Brembo GTs were a safe option for brakes on my car.

Anyway, just tried to speak to someone at Brembo...

What a mission!!

I called Brembo in Italy who gave me the number of Brembo UK, who then gave me another number to call for technical support. When I called this number, a guy picked up who said he wasn't the one I needed to speak to, and they'd call me back.....

And that's it so far... Mmmm good customer support eh.

I was too - at £250 they bring a new meaning to expensive crap!

I ended up speaking to GP Automotive who are UK distributors for Brembo. It was only out of their own incompetence that I ended up with a free set of discs.

They got back to me, but they have gone into liquidation (Brembo UK) that is, so it makes getting any sort of come back very tough.

I've just spoken to Mark (at Backdraft), who is going to try to get intouch with Brembo in Italy to see if he can get the discs replaced. But it's not looking good I must say.

I was too - at £250 they bring a new meaning to expensive crap!

I ended up speaking to GP Automotive who are UK distributors for Brembo. It was only out of their own incompetence that I ended up with a free set of discs.

£250 is for the solid LCR items, try £350+vat for the genuine Brembo cross drilled items!

I'm running the solid items now, which I've not had any problems with Geln, and that includes a couple of track runs mate... I also have ECS stage1 rears though, which probably make a bit of a difference and use at least a lap to cool down before coming in.

Been doing a lot of research on the brake judder issue, and I have found some interesting reads:

http://www.powerbrake.co.za/downloads/tech_01_judder.pdf

Now I'm wondering that if my discs weren't fitted completely true, whether I can remove them and have the hub cleaned and refitted... or whether the damage to the discs are now permanent....

Glen, when my mechanic fitted the solid items on my car, he put the cross drilled ones on a flat table to see if he could see the warping... his response was, he'd never seen a disk warp so much, it was shocking!

My brembos warped after beig ok on road ut gettign hot on a trackday. I had them skimmed as Brembo did not want to know (only 2k miles), they were ok after skimmming for a while then went all shimming again!
I gave up and went for new and far chaper EBC untramax's following the good reviews on Seatcupra.net. I have to say on the road, fitted with Ferrodo ds2500, the brakes totally take the ****, they throw you through the screen with the slightest touch, and have a far ncier feel.
Not been on track yet, I have changed to castro race fluid having boiled the stock fluid on track before, but i am hopeful for good things when I do.

I would suggest binning the brembo crap and trying some of the ultramax discs, they are about £90 a disc and really excellent IMO.

Hi guys,
Thanks for all the information. I'm still getting over the number of people experiencing problems with Brembo GT brakes. I wish I read this thread before I made the decision to do the brakes.

However, if you have a look at the article I've linked to earlier, it could well be due to incorrect fitment of the discs.
If the hub is not cleaned well before fitting the discs back on, it could cause judder after a matter of 2000 - 3000 miles, which is exactly the amount of miles I did before I started get juddering....

So perhaps you should get the discs skimmed, and then make sure that the garage putting disc back on actually cleans the hub properly, and measures the trueness with a dial.

The other possibility is that very hot brakes have caused excessive pad deposit on the discs, which causes extra thickness to the disc on parts of it, resulting in judder.

Though apparently the former reason is far more likely the culprit of brake judder(according to the articles, and from what Brembo have told me when I called them)...

Oh what to do...:search:

Ok, after my 7 or so posts on this thread, I've managed to get the brake judder fixed....:yahoo:

I took it to a local tyre garage and ask them to clean up my discs with an air hose. So much cr@p came out of the disc holes. They did say that the brake pads are starting to break up, probably due to my track day.

Anyway, the car now seems to brake fine without any judder at all.....

So if you're experiencing the same problem with the Brembo GT kit, check the discs. If the holes are filled up, then clean the disc up and get all the crud out before you resort to skimming or replacing the discs....

QED.:laugh:

Thanks for all those that have contributed the thread.