MIB Upgrade

Yes please let us know about the speed and audio ect.
Also if you run into any problems and how hard it is to install

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
So I got the system working ok and it seems great so far! Will get pics up soon.

Last edited:
How hard was it to install for a noob?
Does everything still work on your steering wheel as it should?
Is it snappy and great performance?
Do you notice a difference in sound?

How hard was it to install for a noob?
Does everything still work on your steering wheel as it should?
Is it snappy and great performance?
Do you notice a difference in sound?

it was fiddly but actually not too bad. I had the glovebox and MMI out anyway to instal the new footwell LEDs so I did both jobs at the same time.

I didn’t notice any degradation of the sound and everything works as it should and all original controls. To access the CarPlay/android, just hold them media button back for 3 seconds and it switches to the Car Play from MMI.
The only way to listen to radio whilst using google maps etc is to use a Radio App on the Car Play.

Otherwise you can still listen to normal radio on the MMI if you exit the Car Play.
It came with an USB plug and you can cut a hole in the trim on the opposite side from the Cigarette light/12V port. I just mounted it between the steering column trim and the centre console, so it’s hidden but accessible.

Does it start in Audi MMI or does it go directly into Android Auto?
Would be a pain if you have to keep changing it everytime you got into the car.
Maybe I misunderstood you

Does it start in Audi MMI or does it go directly into Android Auto?
Would be a pain if you have to keep changing it everytime you got into the car.
Maybe I misunderstood you
It starts up in the normal MMI manner and it needs to be manually selected by holding the Media button back for 3 seconds, then the Car Play opens. Cars with Car Play have it manually selected anyway. It’s not an issue.

@CanadaA3wales I’ve actually noticed if the Car Play was used last, it does open that when starting the car.

Ah thats cool, saves having to press buttons everytime you get into the car. I was going to give it a miss if that was the case, but glad it goes straight in.
Does it have DAB as well ?
Sorry about all the questions LOL

Reactions: ScottishA4B9 and Gemrom
Appreciate the updates and don’t think I’m the only one..

It all looks very promising and I’m very tempted although I’m still not sure I need it.

Noticed you’ve got Bose and has it affected the sound and is the screen size the same or smaller? Seems smaller on some images I’ve seen of this unit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it have DAB as well ?
No, the radio runs through the Radioplayer app on your phone (this could be DAB? Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to confirm!)

No such thing as too many questions mate lol. I was the same when asking people about this kit.

Appreciate the updates and don’t think I’m the only one..

It all looks very promising and I’m very tempted although I’m still not sure I need it.

Noticed you’ve got Bose and has it affected the sound and is the screen size the same or smaller? Seems smaller on some images I’ve seen of this unit..

It’s not Bose but Bang & Olufsen. No degradation of the sound quality at all! I whacked it up loud a few times to see if it distorted, but no it’s all good! I was worried about this as well. I’m very happy with kit.

I haven’t tried the mirror link yet which allows you to play videos, Amazon, Netflix etc on it yet.

Again thanks for the responses and meant B&O and obviously had an 8p flashback when I mentioned Bose..

Last question - how is the screen size through the unit; is it the same, smaller or bigger than the standard Audi MIB?

Again thanks for the responses and meant B&O and obviously had an 8p flashback when I mentioned Bose..

Last question - how is the screen size through the unit; is it the same, smaller or bigger than the standard Audi MIB?

Same size as the MIB unit.

I tried the mirror link tonight and it mirrors everything on your phone screen so if you play a video etc, it will mirror on the MIB screen.

Another thing I noticed, was I had heard people say that using the Car Play on a MIB 1 unit, that it can be a little pixelated, but I haven’t really found that. I’m very happy for the quality on the screen considering I have the lower resolution screen.

I am going to get one FO SHO !!
Just need to learn how to remove the glove box and get to the MIB.
Was there good instruction, I assume you have to leave the original MIB in there due to all the Audi setting ??

I am going to get one FO SHO !!
Just need to learn how to remove the glove box and get to the MIB.
Was there good instruction, I assume you have to leave the original MIB in there due to all the Audi setting ??

Make sure you get the right stereo keys to remove the MMI unit first.

Make sure you get the right stereo keys to remove the MMI unit first.

Ah so you do need to remove the MMI.

What actually controls the Audi settings then, like the service times, tyre pressure sensors ect, is all this lost if you install this?

Thanks @ScottishA4B9

Has anything come up that annoys you about it, over the original MMI?

Ah so you do need to remove the MMI.

What actually controls the Audi settings then, like the service times, tyre pressure sensors ect, is all this lost if you install this?

Thanks @ScottishA4B9

Has anything come up that annoys you about it, over the original MMI?
No, the MMI is not the cars main computer/control unit. It just controls the sat nav and radio/CD unit. It’s just a case of simply unplugging it, plugging in the car play unit and plug in the new cables. Very straight forward.

Ah I see.
I thought there was just one box which controlled everything.
Thanks again mate

Nice 1.
That ebay seller sent me a message to offer the MIB unit for 210.00. so will probably take them up on this.

Nice 1.
That ebay seller sent me a message to offer the MIB unit for 210.00. so will probably take them up on this.
Hold off for now.....my unit has stopped playing any sound.
My girlfriend fried to connect her phone to it via Bluetooth and now it won’t play sound. Tried rebooting and every other Avenue and it will not play sound!
Unless someone like @DJAlix has any ideas?

My girlfriend fried to connect her phone to it via Bluetooth and now it won’t play sound. Tried rebooting and every other Avenue and it will not play sound!

Thats concerning, we will see how the ebay seller deals with returns.
I have not bought yet, so thanks for the heads up

Tried resetting the unit?

I would try remove all bluetooth devices and re-pair them to your car.
Maybe it can only handle one at a time, or some kind of conflict with the bluetooth.

Never heard of that or seen any posts! No the MMI works fine.

I've seen some posts on here about it.

Its strange it happened when your partner attempted to connect via Bluetooth as well. Its likely the Bluetooth receiver died, maybe it's a coincidence, but very suspect that's for sure.

I've seen some posts on here about it.

Its strange it happened when your partner attempted to connect via Bluetooth as well. Its likely the Bluetooth receiver died, maybe it's a coincidence, but very suspect that's for sure.
Well I’ve got it working again.

That sellers rating keeps going down so wont be buying from him.
1st negative blamed the customer and now a new one saying the guy was rude.
Beats me why businesses think they can talk to customers like garbage when we are the ones with the cash.

Thats one thing I like about Amazon, they are no nonsense company and great returns.
Amazon could be rude and people would still buy from them, but a billion dollar company understands customer service hence why they are so rich.

But you get small companies like this, and they wonder why their businesses go bankrupt.

I am glad you got it sorted in the end, seems like a return would have been a pain from that seller.

That sellers rating keeps going down so wont be buying from him.
1st negative blamed the customer and now a new one saying the guy was rude.
Beats me why businesses think they can talk to customers like garbage when we are the ones with the cash.

Thats one thing I like about Amazon, they are no nonsense company and great returns.
Amazon could be rude and people would still buy from them, but a billion dollar company understands customer service hence why they are so rich.

But you get small companies like this, and they wonder why their businesses go bankrupt.

I am glad you got it sorted in the end, seems like a return would have been a pain from that seller.
He actually offered to swap no problem at all, but it obviously started working just before it got to that stage.