AUDI A3 1.6 TDI (2014) Heater Blower Motor Replacement

Neilrich3

Reaction score
Hi there,

Looking for some advice please, I believe that the heater blower motor within my A3 is on its way out, it has become unreliable and makes a strange whirring noise when it decides to work. Have ordered the new VALEO motor, but can't find any videos/illustration/instruction on how to do remove and refit, for instance do I need to remove the glove box or like the VW Golf can it be accessed from below?

Should anyone be able to offer guidance, that'd be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Okay, looks like I do have to remove the glove box, however do I have to remove the multimedia player too and if I do, is there an easy way without the removal tools?

I would have thought someone would have replied by now.
Maybe people have not had to replace this item themselves.

Just gave it a friendly bump for you.

Many thanks. So would appear that you do have to remove both the glove box and the MMI/CD unit, have ordered a cheap removal tool from eBay, however wonder whether likely to be any complication when I reinstall the MMI/CD unit, for instance does it require a code? Do I have the code, perhaps the code upon the fob with my spare key, or does it require input from an Audi dealership?

Thanks.

Have you checked the coolant resevoir ?
Do you have a silica bag in your tank, if so I would remove it as it could break and go into your heater matrix, this is a full dash out which is very expensive.

Are you sure its just the blower, do you still have hot air in all the outlets?

I beleive you can remove the MMI and replace without any coding as long as its the same MMI as its already coded into your vehicle, but I could be wrong.

Ensure the motor is not near the MMI and replaced exactly where it is, take pictures before you remove anything to ensure correct replacment.

Thanks for the advice, have not checked the coolant reservoir, but shall have a look for any silica bags. There is hot air within the outlets, therefore don't think it is the matrix. I feel is is the blower, on occasions it has been working, for instance first start up of the day, but very quickly dies away. Don't it is the resistor, had that issue on the previous car.

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah sounds like the motor.
I would get it scanned as well to see if any sensors are dead as well.
There is a VCDS map on here for users who can scan the car for you for a very small fee.
If you do see a silica bag in the res I would remove it by needle nose pliers or you can remove the tank, but I found this to be a pain so I just used pliers, but be very careful that it does not split.
Most people who have the bags have taken it out as there are reports of them breaking and going into the matrix and causing over £1000.00 worth of damage.

Reactions: sprocket57
Will it be obvious if there's a silica bag there, or do I have to feel around? Why did they put silica bags in the reservoir? Thanks again.

You will see it 100% it will be right on the side if you poke your face in.
Some have a sealed unit with the bag, if thats the case you need a new tank, but they are only like £18.00

Motor replace and glove box/dash all put back together, the new heater blower motor works a treat, although did make the one mistake...once the new motor was installed, I turned the ignition on to test, however at the time all the cables at the back of the glove box/dash were disconnected. With everything put back together I now get the following warning when I turn the ignition on....'audi safety system fault' apparently something to do with an airbag being disconnected when I did my test.

I have a scan tool for reading and resetting code, although no codes detected....anybody any ideas how best to proceed? Many thanks!

The only thing I can offer is if you are sure everything is hooked up ok, I would take it for a quick drive and it should clear, if not then use your equipment to clear the code, if the code comes back then somethings wrong.
Did you see if your car has a silica bag, if so get it out ASAP, its not worth the risk.

Thanks for your help mate. It has silica written upon the reservoir, so I'd assume that yes the bag is there. I don't want to risk splitting the bag as I attempt to remove it and cause the potential damage myself. The plan is to have the car serviced in the next month or two, I use an independent garage and the guys are ex Audi Master Technician, I shall ask them to replace the reservoir with new and drain the system.

Thanks for your help mate. It has silica written upon the reservoir, so I'd assume that yes the bag is there. I don't want to risk splitting the bag as I attempt to remove it and cause the potential damage myself. The plan is to have the car serviced in the next month or two, I use an independent garage and the guys are ex Audi Master Technician, I shall ask them to replace the reservoir with new and drain the system.

Good idea, remember to drain the coolant every couple years as Audi's idea of the silica bag was to ensure long service of the coolant, so I would speed up that time just in case.
I used needle nose pliers as I did not trust a garage to ham hand it and pull it out and possibly break it and not say anything so I did it myself, its a very expensive job if any of that Silica gets into the heating system, but its up to you.
The bag is quite thick and robust, its does not break easy, but obviously care needs to be taken.