Key fob unlock button not working - not battery related

kalniel

Reaction score
Hi all,

So my key fob has stopped unlocking my car (2015 A3 Sline).

Pressing the unlock button I can hear/feel the switch clicking, but there's no red light flash. Other buttons do work and produce a flash.

I've tried changing the battery twice, to two different makes and fresh out of the packet each time (Duracell and Energiser), but the behaviour remains exactly the same - other buttons flash and work, but the unlock button just clicks normally with no flash. I also tried resynchronising but since the unlock button doesn't appear to work, unsurprisingly there was no difference.

Any suggestions or is it definitely dealer replacement time, in which case, does anyone know the rough cost?

Thanks in advance,

Sounds like the button has just failed ... cheapest option is to replace the button, the “phone man down the market” probably has the soldering skills ... swap it for the boot button which I’m sure you don’t use or just buy a cheap fob that has died and scavenge the button

Other wise I guess your into reasonable money for new fob and coding

Upload 2021 1 28 12 37 20

Reactions: kalniel
Key prices range (at least here stateside) from $225 to $300 from Audi. Expect to pay an Audi dealer at least an hour labor on top of that to code your key to your car. Be sure to bring all keys down (valet) as they will all need to be redone at the same time.

Another option would be to go aftermarket (transfer the key blade over) but the key would still need to be coded to the vehicle immobilizer.

It sounds like you only have 1 key so why not order a new key and remote this is mostly likely the problem you then have a good working key and a spare

Hi all,

So my key fob has stopped unlocking my car (2015 A3 Sline).

Pressing the unlock button I can hear/feel the switch clicking, but there's no red light flash. Other buttons do work and produce a flash.

I've tried changing the battery twice, to two different makes and fresh out of the packet each time (Duracell and Energiser), but the behaviour remains exactly the same - other buttons flash and work, but the unlock button just clicks normally with no flash. I also tried resynchronising but since the unlock button doesn't appear to work, unsurprisingly there was no difference.

Any suggestions or is it definitely dealer replacement time, in which case, does anyone know the rough cost?

Thanks in advance,
I vaguely recall someone on here does new/replacement keys!?!

Just found this, gives you an idea https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/by-brand-audi or repair https://www.keyfobrepair.co.uk/key-repair-service-audi-3-button-fix.html

This happened to me after the garage changed the battery ( flat battery under 12 months), can the car 'see' the key? i.e. its no longer showing on the dash as battery low in key. apparently the key has to be 'realigned', my son did mine after reading the manual for a few minutes, may be worth a try.
Something to do with the speed that the led on the key flashes when you press the button i.e. not at all, fast and then once and its working correctly.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you do need a teenager!!!!