Number plate light warning

gselliott

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got in the car (2016 A3 Saloon) this afternoon and I’ve got a Number Plate Light warning message on the dash. Sure enough when I got out to check they were not working but as soon as I opened the boot and it opened fully they came on but when I close the boot they go off.

I’ve done some googling and can see lots of people having issues when fitting new bulbs but I haven’t touched a thing so not sure what the issue is?

Anyone experienced this issue before?

Is it the loom rubbing where it goes along the hinge, I’ve seen it mentioned before as a common problem ....

Did my puddle lights front and rear while I had panels off did door pocket ambient light. Didn't do a step by step sorry but they work great with lights on fronts red rears blue
b4f4e24c1a02b4fe59744d4667fd84ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Is it the loom rubbing where it goes along the hinge, I’ve seen it mentioned before as a common problem ....

Thanks for the reply, I did wonder if there was a switch or something that could be stuck when opening the boot but didn’t think of the loom. Will have a look t0morrow, is it easy to get at do you know?

Thanks for the reply, I did wonder if there was a switch or something that could be stuck when opening the boot but didn’t think of the loom. Will have a look t0morrow, is it easy to get at do you know?
Have a search on here it’s come up quite a few times, can’t always see the physical damage. The fact that it works when you open the boot I think is quite telling. Good luck

Great thanks for the replies and that link looks interesting I’ll try and get a look tomorrow and will get some photos of I can.

Finally got chance to have a look today and I was shocked with what I found, there seemed to be a severe bend in the loom although I’m not sure if this is supposed to be like this? (tried to get a photo but its not great). I removed the tape from that area and as you can see from the photo the damage to the cables. The 2 snapped cables are from the number plate lights, I assume they were making / breaking contact when the boot was opening and closing. I didn’t expect to see the majority of the other cables in the loom damaged as well to be honest.

I suppose the ideal scenario would be to replace the loom but for now to get it working again I have spliced the cables back together along with the partially split cables but have yet to reattach the loom itself. Does anyone know where the bend should be and is there anything I can do to reinforce it?

E9040B04 885A 45B9 BF46 91132640B70A 7C35996F D3A4 4A02 B737 2AAE6BC12734

It looks as though your loom is twisted like mine was, I don't know if it's intentional but it does not look right, I undid my loom back to the lights undid the twist and then replaced the lot adding some sleeveing, it took about 4hrs all in all. I also replaced the hexagon bolts on the hinge mount with countersunk bolts and washers as my loom was rubbing it's self away on the bolts. @djalex did send a sketch showing where the loom normally sits but my loom was just not long enough to follow that path.
Rear PDC djalex boot lid cable route suggestion

It looks as though your loom is twisted like mine was, I don't know if it's intentional but it does not look right, I undid my loom back to the lights undid the twist and then replaced the lot adding some sleeveing, it took about 4hrs all in all. I also replaced the hexagon bolts on the hinge mount with countersunk bolts and washers as my loom was rubbing it's self away on the bolts. @djalex did send a sketch showing where the loom normally sits but my loom was just not long enough to follow that path.
View attachment 215378

Yeah I have to agree it didn’t look right to me either. The sketch in the photo is pretty much where mine is routed now but as I’ve had to splice most of the cables back together and they are on that bend which moves when the boot opens and closes I’m concerned they may deteriorate again over time. When you say you replaced the lot, did you mean you put in a new loom?

No, I removed the loom untwisted it and then replaced it without the twist