Damaged car

pedro61163

Reaction score
Going to work yesterday morning and I hit an object in the middle of the road which caused the car to lift into the air. I looked in rear view mirror and saw part of car on road so got out to find rear bumper broken and diffuser lying on road. There was a concrete kerbstone which had obviously been dragged from layby by snowplough. I couldn't see anything under car for snow so continued to work but on closer inspection underbelly broken also broken crossmember and noise from engine and vibration from rear.

Attachments

• 4DA1105C-E1FC-4C3C-9466-382EF57CF225.jpeg
    4DA1105C-E1FC-4C3C-9466-382EF57CF225.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 208
  • DCCAB8F1-D664-42A3-ADC3-6D6D1FEA85EA.jpeg
    DCCAB8F1-D664-42A3-ADC3-6D6D1FEA85EA.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 28344A08-C825-4773-A7E6-5338A24AC009.jpeg
    28344A08-C825-4773-A7E6-5338A24AC009.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 1A808838-BA41-43C9-A9BE-0798B02460B9.jpeg
    1A808838-BA41-43C9-A9BE-0798B02460B9.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 193
That's really bad luck mate.. Best advise I can give you is to get it checked out asap. Body trim etc. isn't going to be an issue apart from expense obviously but the thing that would concern me most is the vibration from the engine and judging from the pics there is quite bad damage to the suspension arms.. Possibly you have damaged the prop shaft going to the rear?? Hope it isn't too bad for you.:icon thumright:

Reactions: JohnM100
That's really bad luck mate.. Best advise I can give you is to get it checked out asap. Body trim etc. isn't going to be an issue apart from expense obviously but the thing that would concern me most is the vibration from the engine and judging from the pics there is quite bad damage to the suspension arms.. Possibly you have damaged the prop shaft going to the rear?? Hope it isn't too bad for you.:icon thumright:
Hi thanks no prop as only fwd tried phoning more than insurance claim department shut today have to phone tomorrow

Reactions: pburv
Sorry to hear, but that damage looks pretty bad - I can’t identify all the areas of your photos but from some of the sheared metal, I’d be reluctant to drive it further until inspected.

I hope some of today’s keyboard warriors on another thread heed their feedback and don’t wade in.

Hi thanks no prop as only fwd tried phoning more than insurance claim department shut today have to phone tomorrow
Ah ok Assumed it was an S3 due to the quad pipes in your pic. Hope you get it sorted.:icon thumright:

Report incident to council as well, they may be sympathetic and engage their insurers :icon thumright:

Reactions: S32B, AlS3BE and pburv
Not really clear in the pics but undertray has taken a beating and looks like the bottom arm is about to snap. Rear noise could be parts of the bumper or rear trim hanging and fouling something that moves like wheels/tyre/brakes or vibrating on the exhaust or heat shield.
As long everyone is ok then it’s just metal. Let insurance deal with it.

Reactions: pburv and JohnM100
Still waiting on verdict from my insurance but garage said damage to subframe , gearbox and fuel tank , not looking good for getting repaired. If it is written off , hopefully get good price

Sorry to hear.

If insurance writes it off then make sure you are happy with the settlement figure. If you think their offer is low you can reject it and provide justification as to why you are rejecting it - that said, all car enthusiasts feel their car is worth more than it really is so you’d need to be realistic. If you have courtesy car cover then get the smallest car you can use as you can also use that to support your case of mitigating cost of your claim.

People with more knowledge than me can say if you have a case against the council but that is going to be an uphill struggle.

Council claims can only be made if they were aware of the issue and did not fix it in a reasonable amount of time. We can get council records to see if this is the case.
We deal with a lot of pothole claims ect, but random things in the road is going to be impossible.
Also you will only get top book for your car, they may try lowball you, but insist you want top book if your car is mint.
One thing they will not do is give you auto trader prices.

Ok thanks. Car was mint condition for 8 years old, 63000 miles, full leather heated interior, pano roof, MIB1 High, comfort pack and full Audi service history.
Council claims can only be made if they were aware of the issue and did not fix it in a reasonable amount of time. We can get council records to see if this is the case.
We deal with a lot of pothole claims ect, but random things in the road is going to be impossible.
Also you will only get top book for your car, they may try lowball you, but insist you want top book if your car is mint.
One thing they will not do is give you auto trader prices.

Sorry to hear.

If insurance writes it off then make sure you are happy with the settlement figure. If you think their offer is low you can reject it and provide justification as to why you are rejecting it - that said, all car enthusiasts feel their car is worth more than it really is so you’d need to be realistic. If you have courtesy car cover then get the smallest car you can use as you can also use that to support your case of mitigating cost of your claim.

People with more knowledge than me can say if you have a case against the council but that is going to be an uphill struggle.

Ok thanks. Car was mint condition for 8years old, 63000 miles, full leather heated interior, pano roof, MIB1 High,comfort pack and full Audi servicehistory.