Disconnecting Battery

clarksoooon

Reaction score
Hello, I just got a 2014 2.0 TDI with 70k km and a manual transmission and I use it for long trips. That means it sits for weeks/months and I'm afraid that the battery will go flat. My solution is to disconnect it. However, apart from having to install a switch or diving to the boot through the rear seats in order to reconnect it, I wonder if, after I reconnect it, the electronics go mad and the car throws codes and warning lights. Any advice is appreciated. Also, what do you think of the purchase? Will it be reliable? Thanks for Reading.

I'm guessing that you can't get close to a mains power source, if you can, then buying a charger/maintainer would keep the battery if left connected.

If that is not an option, how about buying a proper rated trickle charger that works of the sunlight, ie a solar charger, if buying from Halfords buy the bigger option.

Modern cars should tolerate having the battery disconnected with maybe minimum resetting required, like running the engine an idle for maybe 5 minutes to relearn basic values then driven to complete that relearning, also as your car will have electric steering rack, things will not be good until a certain distance has been driven, again to relearn basic values.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Thanks for the advice. I reckon I should keep it plugged in, after all, I don't think it'll be so flat that the door/boot won't unlock.

The only thing is, some of these cars ended up with an EFB battery and they don't seem to like being run down, ie it seems to age them quicker than if they were being kept charged up.