Wheel curb rash repair

SillyGoose

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was driving on a narrow street in London when I managed to scratch the front wheel. Luckily, the scratches are superficial.

I was just wondering, is there an easy way to fix this? Is it worth fixing?

The car is on a PCP deal so I’m also wondering if I’ll have to pay for this damage when the car is returned? Thanks
3db9c30867cf9a1a8c852435cdac7ca1.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad from the photo.

The answer depends on whether you can live with it or whether it will grate with you.

As it’s not on the spoke of the wheel, I’d be tempted to dab some clear coat lacquer on the chips to seal them and stop water getting in leading to the dreaded white worm.

Reactions: SillyGoose
You will pay the price when handing the car back, the last three cars I've had from Audi I've been charged £50 a wheel if they are damaged.

You will pay the price when handing the car back, the last three cars I've had from Audi I've been charged £50 a wheel if they are damaged.

That’s unlucky. My dad returned his leased 2013 A8 with scratched and chunks out of his wheels and wasn’t charged anything. The guy who collected it apparently used it for 3 months, put 1000s of miles on it, cracked the windshield some how and Audi rang him up asking where the car was. They tried to charge him for the damages and extra rental but as my dad had a copy of the collection form and condition report they couldn’t charge him.
Rogue employee!

He had a Mercedes after that , wheels were a bit better on return of that car but still , he didn’t get charged.

The thing is the charges of £50 by the company are less than half the cost of diamond cut wheels at our local wheel refurb so even if he did get charged by the company it’s still cheaper than repairing them himself.

You should ask Audi what their charges for wheel repair are. I’ve got a feeling they’ll be reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just returned my car at end of lease (non-Audi) last week, had minor dings on my diamond cut rims like the left circle. The person from BCA picked it up, and took pics, but the computer said no charge. I do believe the mutiple dings would be chargeable. Not sure if you live in London or not, but I had bigger scrapes on my car's rims and I sent them to a place next to Hendon station, and did a good job for about £80 ish inc VAT without requiring a refurb. Saying that however, the person 'found' £246 worth of damange including minor bumper scrapes, and so small dings from other car's doors hitting my doors. I've contested it with BCA, still awaiting the outcome. Best case scenario, I get charged £0, second best case scenario, I get charged for bumper scrape @ £150. The collection guy has helpfully taken blurry pics of the damage and he did advise me I should contest it.

I just returned my car at end of lease (non-Audi) last week, had minor dings on my diamond cut rims like the left circle. The person from BCA picked it up, and took pics, but the computer said no charge. I do believe the mutiple dings would be chargeable.

The guy who comes to pick up the car should use the BVRLA Fair Wear and Tear standard. Obviously, some do and some don't! The pics that your guy took were presumably run through some image recognition software (on his phone) to automatically assess the damage. The screenshot below is what the standard says about wheels. If the amount of scuffs/scrapes are unacceptable, I assume that the amount they would want to charge you would depend on the extent. To take an extreme example, if the wheel was buckled/cracked or "kerbed to hell", they would probably want to charge for a new wheel, which is fair enough I guess.

BVRLA standard for alloy damage