Air Conditioning Compressor Survivability a4 1.9 tdi

pinman

Reaction score
Hi, how long do air con pumps/compressors last if they haven't been used in a while. Do the internal parts seize up or seals rot if the car air con has not been run?

I'm taking parts off a mates kaput A4 B6 before he scraps it and wondered if i could install his pump on my car (both b6 one 5 speed manual other 6 speed auto). His air con has not worked for a few years (vcds reports pressure sensor g65 fault so stuck on ECON) but he has had it re-gassed previously and said it used to work fine. It's a non runner so i'm not able to install a new sensor on and run it up to check. Any ideas? cheers.

G65 is very common, probably would have worked again if he swapped the sender out, alas.

Tbh, they're usually reliable, but only 1 way to know tbh.

So you think there is a chance the internals of the pump might of survived? I thought that the refrigerant contained lubricants that kept the seals from drying out and in fact you should run your aircon once a week/month to keep it working properly? or am i talking codswallop.

Any idea what the procedure is to bench test the compressor/clutch if i take it off the car? cheers.

You'll feel the pump working as you slowly spin the flywheel on the compressor. You can do that by reaching down between the radiator and the engine with the serpentine belt off. If it just spins freely in both directions the compressor has most likely grenaded a long time ago. You might get lucky and it just be the clutch, but cost/time/likelyhood of a positive outcome means compressor clutch replacements only rarely work out (bolt stripping etc.)

If it passes the spin test it's worth taking off. When off, poor out any remaining lubricant and replace to spec (should be on the compressor label). PAG oil. Then re-gass and keep everything crossed. Best practice is to replace the condenser after the system has been opened but I never bothered and didn't suffer from it.

...and just to be clear: the regass doesn't include the lubricant for your compressor. Your compressor has it's own sump which you need to add the PAG oil into before installation (by simply pouring it into the compressor port). From memory it's a relatively small amount 100ml maybe. Some websites tell you that regass checks the oil level and replaces IT DOES NOT. Don't put it on dry else you'll be very warm this summer.

Well seems like Its a different pump or at least the pulley is different.

Mine is 4 grooves on the pulley and uses a seperate belt running from the crank shaft pulley. The other car is a 6 groove pulley and uses the main serpentine/fan belt to drive it. That must difference between avf auto and awx manual engines?

It did seem to rotate smoothly and with some resistance when i spun it. As in it wouldn't spin freely if i let go.

I tried to see how much gas was in the system and it had some in there when i pressed the valve in. How much/how powerful should the jet of gas be? it did com out steadily for the couple of seconds i held it but didn't burst out in a cloud?

Is is possible to swop out the pulley from a 6 rib to 4 rib version? so i need one of these if it's possibe?

but 80 odd just for the pulley!