2017 2.0 ltr tfsi b9 oil and undertray removal.

Koala

Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking at changing the oil on the 2.0 ltr tfsi,couple of questions please.
The engine is code cvkb which I believe is the b cycle engine. Hand book give oil spec of vw502 - 5w40 or vw508/9 - 0w20. The oil will be changed once per year regardless of mileage.i only do 11/12 k miles per year.
1) which oil to use,the hand book give both grades.
2) the under tray is secured with all the normal small screws etc but I've noticed there are 2 large bolts,one either side, that look like they hold the under tray onto the anti roll bar mounts or something similar. Do these bolts simply come out or do you have to be wary of what they are screwed into on the other side.

Thanks in advance for the feedback

For (2), I would use a oil extractor to remove the oil from the dipstick hole saves the faff with underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed an oil extractor is the easiest cleanest way, as for the oil I would us a 5-40 502 spec either Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 or Shell helix.

I can't see them recommending ancient VW oil spec 5W40 502.00 and it's poor oil performance profile .

The 0W20 508.00 is all about fuel economy .

The best oil for the job is 5W30 504.00 .

Bu the OP said that is what is recommended in his handbook - not a lot of difference between a synthetic 5-30 or 5-40 tbh.

Big difference in oil performance profile between 5W40 502.00 and 5W30 504.00 , the latter has real synthetics plus a higher concentration additive package .

VW simply classified the difference themselves as medium and high quality oil .

I've got some of the 0w20 from a work colleague,was going to use this. I'm a steady driver only doing steady motor way and no more than 12k miles per year. Will put this in this time then go for the cheaper 5w30 vw504 next time
Thanks to all