Coil over recommendations

Reaction score
Hello I’m looking to get coil overs for my A3 8pa and I want to know what’s the best coil over to go for? Want to improve handling but also keeping the ride comfortable. Been looking at these (attached below) I don’t know if they’re any good. Many thanks.

Attachments

• E6A5CD61-0F2D-4C96-B616-DF25C5D1372E.png
    E6A5CD61-0F2D-4C96-B616-DF25C5D1372E.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 98
What are you looking to spend?
The kit you're looking at is very budget so it's not going to give you the best ride quality or last very long. If budget allows try and go for a better quality kit and you won't regret it.
Damian @ DPM Performance

What are you looking to spend?
The kit you're looking at is very budget so it's not going to give you the best ride quality or last very long. If budget allows try and go for a better quality kit and you won't regret it.
Damian @ DPM Performance
Okay thank you, do you have a link to any good ones, I don’t really have a a budget .

I fitted a cheap set to my mk4 golf and the ride was horrible. I think those were FK street £200 ish. One of the dampers failed shortly after fitting and I returned them and paid the extra for FK high sports £400 ish. Much better.

I bought ST coilovers and they lasted 5 years until I had an issue with one the corners. Obviously, you adjust your height to your liking. They were (obviously again ;-) a bit stiffer than my stock suspension but comfortable enough and way more enjoyable to drive / corner the car.

I'd say they are solid, good quality basic coilovers. I'd buy them again and would recommend for you.

Here is a link to ST coilovers sold by US company ESC Tuning (US $ 829):
<https://www.ecstuning.com/b-suspension-techniques-parts/st-x-performance-coilover-system-fixed-damping/13210040~kw/>

Note:
Coilovers are different product numbers for FWD / quattro, similar or same price.

Good luck with shopping and enjoy once you get yours !! ;-)

just go for eibach lowering springs. cheaper and looks good. use the search engine for this forum as many examples and comments. Its a sticky above

I could recommend TEIN coil-overs. Drove them on an MX5 NB. They're quite stiff, but not stiff enough to make the drive horrible (bumps and uneven roads are completely tolerable). They're also adjustable, I think up to 16 clicks. They should be in your price budget.

just go for eibach lowering springs. cheaper and looks good. use the search engine for this forum as many examples and comments. Its a sticky above
Recently I've seen a video from Engineering Explained (see here), where using lowering springs actually negatively impacts the car's performance. I'd stay away from that personally and just go for a full set instead. The stock suspension is always really good for comfort and performance-wise and replacing the springs on shocks that weren't designed for them would, by logic, decrease performance.

Don't forget to do an alignment after you change the suspension setup, or you'll wear your tires incorrectly and decrease the car's cornering ability.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stefan_Solomia