Options for resetting service indicator

Sami_Nitro

Reaction score
The service (not oil change) is showing as due soon on my 2015 A4. Although due to covid messing with schedules, the oil was just changed last autumn - so I'll likely leave the service until later this year.

I'm planning to get the service done at a local independent garage, but I assume they won't have a VCDS to reset the service indicator for me. If so, am I right in thinking all my options are - probably from most expensive to cheapest:

1. Get the service done by Audi.
2. Buy a VCDS of my own and reset using that now, then reset it again when I actually have the service.
3. Get Carista, at least a month's subscription, and reset it that way.
4. Ignore the service indicator until I actually get it serviced - will it continue warning me indefinitely?

Cheers.

I'd be surprised if the independant garage didn't have some diagnostic software, as that's kind of the key to troubleshooting certain jobs. Anyway, you've outlined it all basically. The service indicator will go off until the cows come home.

Reactions: Sami_Nitro
Great - thank you very much. I'll check with the garage then.

Might still pick up a VCDS, they sound like a useful bit of kit.

It's a very handy tool for not only reading and clearing fault codes, but also resetting and adapting sensors, reading sensors in real time, enabling or tweaking hidden functions or features, e.g. raising the brightness of the DRLs found on Xenon-based headlights. You can force DPF regens too. It's costly, but a very powerful, useful bit of kit, one that'll prove useful if you ever need to help someone diagnose an engine light on someone else's car.

It's a very handy tool for not only reading and clearing fault codes, but also resetting and adapting sensors, reading sensors in real time, enabling or tweaking hidden functions or features, e.g. raising the brightness of the DRLs found on Xenon-based headlights. You can force DPF regens too. It's costly, but a very powerful, useful bit of kit, one that'll prove useful if you ever need to help someone diagnose an engine light on someone else's car.
I can second all of this. Recent owner of vcds and very pleased at the measurement and logging available, as well as changes that I can make....for both current and future cars (as long as its a VAG).