Westfalia towbar

copterdoctor

Reaction score

Westfalia Tow Bar Electrics​

Good evening, I fitted a westfalia towbar with the dedicated wiring to my A4 B8 4 years ago, had no problems since. I fitted a 7 pin socket as I was towing trailers, but have now bought a caravan and needed a 13 pin socket. I bought the relevant wiring looms from Pfjones and went about fitting today. The car has towing prep so it was as easy as unplugging the old loom and relooming the new with the red car plug into the module and the loom in the other module socket. Also fitted the switched 12v to the battery with the relay. However, now nothing works except the 12v switched supply at the towbar.
The red car plug has the correct voltages present but seems to be nothing coming from the module. It seems to be the same module as the 7 pin one so I tried slaving that in, still nothing. And then tried refitting the old loom and again nothing?????
Will VCDS need recoding for a 13 pin socket, as it was coded for the initial fit??
Sorry for the essay here guys....but am genuinely stumped??

Why didn't you just use a 7 to 13 adapter?

Reactions: spartacus68
Yes the module will need coding, you have likely triggered component protection by swapping them out, meaning neither will work till repaired to the car.

As far as I am aware the modules are identical. Out of interest, why did you not just change the 7-pin to a 13 pin, wire it in to the existing module and add the relay for power?

You will need someone with VCDS to help, where are you in the country?

OliNix
B8.5 S4 Avant - Glacier White

Yes the module will need coding, you have likely triggered component protection by swapping them out, meaning neither will work till repaired to the car.

As far as I am aware the modules are identical. Out of interest, why did you not just change the 7-pin to a 13 pin, wire it in to the existing module and add the relay for power?

You will need someone with VCDS to help, where are you in the country?

OliNix
B8.5 S4 Avant - Glacier White
I've tried messaging on VW forum but not sure it's working, I'm in Basingstoke so not far away, would really appreciate if you could cast an eye over the coding. I'm on 07792620326 if you want to send a message and we can sort a time

Regardless of cp, if you've put the old loom back in & its dead, then either you've caused a module fault, fuse or power issue now as cp would show up but module would still communicate on bus.

Ideally you need to check elsawin to verify 13 pin wiring needs.