Performance and power of cars going forward?

Your choice?

• 100% petrol

• 100% Diesel

• 100% Electric

• Hybrid – Plug-in

• Hybrid – Self Charging

Results are only viewable after voting.

S32B

Reaction score
Just curious as to what people are thinking with all the adverts on TV pushing us into electric, hybrid etc.

If you were buying a car soon what power source would you go for and why?

Personally I would go for 100% petrol or at a push a self charging hybrid, as I feel there is not enough charging points around for 100% electric cars at the moment and I couldn't be bothered plugging my car in at home every night!

Reactions: NevMan
I’ll be sticking with a fully petrol car for the time being. If I was to change I think it’d be a hybrid like a Lexus in a few years time. Charging network and other items aren’t far enough along with the amount of miles I do for work (who are often in the middle of nowhere)

I was torn between the petrol 55 TSFI A6 Avant and the TSFIe plugin version. The price wasn't much different and I have only done two journeys over 40 miles in the last year with working from home and covid so just fancied a change from petrol / diesel. 0-60 in 5.6 seconds isn't too shabby for a barge either :) If the S6 was still petrol that would have been my choice.

73 views and nobody has clicked the poll!!! :blink:

Use Tapatalk mate, so no poll showing.
100% Petrol for me, still plenty of time before forced down lekkie.

Reactions: Terminator x, Adam14 and S32B
Just for you went on browser version and added the 2nd petrol vote

Reactions: S32B
Thats the issue, charging network isnt anywhere near the need to cater for the influx, which is why self charging is best.

Summed up perfectly here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking car - put a petrol engine in it and it would be perfect:welcoming:

Reactions: Sandra, TSFIe and LesleyG
Petrol for me. Imho EV will take over the mundane day to day stuff and we will keep petrol for enjoyment. Not sure that most people want EV tbf other than it being forced on us.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 8YARWY and NevMan
100% diesel.
Most of my mileage is on motorways, so a hybrid would be a waste of time and petrol not economical enough.

Self charging hybrids should be banned now, before they even think of banning ICE cars.
Its a complete lie used purely to get the emissions down on the car during certification. Normal running in a self charging hybrid can use as much fuel as a normal car and generally have a range of only a few miles.

Plug in hybrids are great for people who do a lot of city driving, but want to lots of range with a quick normal refuel. Full electric will become the norm, but we do need a better solution for houses that have no off road parking.

Electric cars need to become affordable before people will buy them.

30k for a corsa e

no thanks to that one

Reactions: Terminator x, Neil C and NevMan
It is amazing the progress especially with diesel from my first experience of it in a 66 bhp 2.3 Sierra you had to nail it everywhere just to make ordinary pace , then they started getting good in the 90 bhp Peugeot 306 1.9 .

A 97 Peugeot 406 2.1 had 110 bhp and 10 years later Mercedes does a 2.1 with 204 .

It is amazing the progress especially with diesel from my first experience of it in a 66 bhp 2.3 Sierra you had to nail it everywhere just to make ordinary pace , then they started getting good in the 90 bhp Peugeot 306 1.9 .

A 97 Peugeot 406 2.1 had 110 bhp and 10 years later Mercedes does a 2.1 with 204 .
Turbo power

n/a diesels were horrifically slow

Diesel for me. Great torque, economy, fuel lubrication properties for long engine life. Think they could do more with biodiesel and diesel development to reduce emissions further.
Diesel costs a fifth that of petrol to produce but gov tax makes sure the end users pocket gets hit unfortunately.

I'm not convinced by the full elec just yet, as others have said the network out there isn't yet good enough and they are pricey. Then there’s the battery charge anxiety, have I got enough left to get me where I want to or will I need to hang around waiting for it to recharge!

I had to vote both petrol and derv as the wife and I own both and use both. Refreshed the dailies a couple of years ago and will be sticking with the S3 and Amarok for a few more years yet. I'm more petrol biased though with our other Summer use only toys, the three crusty 90's Vauxhalls ;)

Fatbloke,
I don't think the diesel - petrol argument is now so clear. I swapped from a 2014 2.0L diesel to a new 1.5 petrol in March 2019. The mpg is the same, the torque is the same but the petrol is so much more flexible with a wider torque range.
48/50 mpg everyday, up to 70mpg on a run if I drive like a vicar, up to 40mpg towing a 1200kg caravan, 60 in about 8 seconds, what is not to like.

Colin

Reactions: AdamInKent
Why not mix it up a bit? We have a Mini electric for schools runs and local shops, a 3.0 BMW X4 for long hauls and family trips, and a TTRS roadster for weekends.

Fatbloke,
I don't think the diesel - petrol argument is now so clear. I swapped from a 2014 2.0L diesel to a new 1.5 petrol in March 2019. The mpg is the same, the torque is the same but the petrol is so much more flexible with a wider torque range.
48/50 mpg everyday, up to 70mpg on a run if I drive like a vicar, up to 40mpg towing a 1200kg caravan, 60 in about 8 seconds, what is not to like.

Colin
I went the other way

I went from a 1.5 TSI 2018 to a 2.0l TDI 2014 car

My feelings are the opposite, long term MPG was 37 combined on the 1.5 TSI (over 13k miles) and on my 2.0l TDI it's 43 mpg (over 8k miles) thats not a biggy though 6 mpg is neither here nor there especially when diesel is more per litre and the diesel is higher purchase price.

The difference is the drive, the diesel engine is so much nicer to drive (yeah sounds like an old tractor) but the torque difference is night and day and the diesel just feels more punchy / fun. The 1.5TSI was geared really long and was boring as anything to drive, even revving it out brought no joy, plus my 1.5TSI had the Kangaroo issue. I really did not get on with the lack-lustre 1.5TSI

Both cars were comparable size wise 1.5TSI was a Leon FR, 2.0l TDI is an A3 8V, tax is also only £30 on the donkey diesel and £140 on the TSI (however again I believe all newer petrol / diesels are MIN £140 a year, so again also no biggy.)

Why not mix it up a bit? We have a Mini electric for schools runs and local shops, a 3.0 BMW X4 for long hauls and family trips, and a TTRS roadster for weekends.
Minted, much
Lol.

Reactions: JohnM100 and Adam14
I’m surprised people don’t consider a retrofit of an electric power train in older models, in due course when these things appear in the mainstream.
I’d love to be able to keep an 8V S3 going until the power train needs replacing, then retrofit an electric solution.
This depends on the energy density of the batteries being high enough, at the time these conversions are available.
To me, it’s the lesser evil across sustainability, performance and cost.
Maybe this can be one of the “new” jobs in the economy they talk about when they talk about the solar / electric vehicle industries
You’d lose the engine, STronic, a number of ancillaries, single motor implementation would retain the Haldex, but a dual motor would remove that And the central shaft

If your considering full electric today, have a watch of Shmee 150 and his porsche. Sums up the infrastructure at the moment. If you know Tim from his channel he doesn't get flustered or upset. This is an eye opener.

If your considering full electric today, have a watch of Shmee 150 and his porsche. Sums up the infrastructure at the moment. If you know Tim from his channel he doesn't get flustered or upset. This is an eye opener.

This is identical to when GSM mobiles came out in the 90s. Everyone bought 121 for the free after 7, but they only had so much coverage. As time went by it got better but when you think about when 121 launched to the time it had reasonable coverage that took at least ten year. Petrol has life in it yet, only because the investment will be slower to get the fill up times to match a fluid fuel

Reactions: JohnM100

I could not be bothered with that faff on.

could you just imagine trying to do that every day. The world would grind to a halt

pure EV is not the future

Last edited:
Reactions: RS3 S.
the most environmentally friendly car you can have is the one you already own.........in my case a 4 ringed 5.2l v10 :)
the energy and emissions involved in producing a new car, irrespective of its powertrain, way exceeds the emissions that come out of your current one.........i would link to a scientific paper that researched this but can't find it.

for me keep the current stable until I bend them, they are stolen or i can no longer find fuel to fill them.

Reactions: RS3 S. and John Pilkington
the most environmentally friendly car you can have is the one you already own.........in my case a 4 ringed 5.2l v10 :)
the energy and emissions involved in producing a new car, irrespective of its powertrain, way exceeds the emissions that come out of your current one.........i would link to a scientific paper that researched this but can't find it.

for me keep the current stable until I bend them, they are stolen or i can no longer find fuel to fill them.
My point was if you can’t find fuel to fill them, at that point you convert the fuel type. This negates the new car emissions cost you speak of, maybe creates a new “job” and by that point the charging infrastructure and hopefully battery energy density has reached an acceptable level to migrate across

...........same here.