Suggestions for upgraded intercoolers

Teddygti

Reaction score
Hi guys new to this. Just wondering if anybody can help I have a 1.8 t 180 quattro but has had a remap. Is it worth upgrading intercooler to prolong the life of the turbo. If so would one like this be adequate.

Many thanks luke

Hi Luke, welcome to ASN.

An upgrade to a larger intercooler is always a win, I personally wouldn’t bother with that replacement you’ve posted up.

Generally people change it all out for a “Wellycooler” which is basically a Toyo Sport Type B intercooler with universal pipework.

There quite a lot documented on the forum with loads of people doing this upgrade. I’d recommend having a dig around and searching all the do’s and don’ts so you know what to order and how to install it.

Hope that helps.

Post up your progress for others to see as it can only help people in similar situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Luke, welcome to ASN.

An upgrade to a larger intercooler is always a win, I personally wouldn’t bother with that replacement you’ve posted up.

Generally people change it all out for a “Wellycooler” which is basically a Toyo Sport Type B intercooler with universal pipework.

There quite a lot documented on the forum with loads of people doing this upgrade. I’d recommend having a dig around and searching all the do’s and don’ts so you know what to order and how to install it.

Hope that helps.

Post up your progress for others to see as it can only help people in similar situations.

Cool thanjs i will have a look around.

There's a lot of info in the stickies but mostly S3...

About A3...

A3 intercooler search on here, one of many...

Happy reading.

Reactions: Teddygti and S3AMJ
Hi guys new to this. Just wondering if anybody can help I have a 1.8 t 180 quattro but has had a remap. Is it worth upgrading intercooler to prolong the life of the turbo. If so would one like this be adequate.

Many thanks luke
If you do not suffer 'heat soak' when giving it beans then don't bother.

The one you have posted to upgrade if you do suffer from heat soak will be more than ample to reduce IAT's at the bhp you have.

wellycoolers / fmic's generally look naff on the 8L, you usually see some chavved up banger with the fmic hanging out the front with some blue Samco pipes and it looks bloomin' awful

Reactions: Teddygti
Like I said...... it’s well documented on here. I’ve got a “Wellycooler” on mine fitted by Badger5 and you wouldn’t know it was even there, keeps the fog lights the lot.

Front mount all the way in my opinion.

Reactions: Frizzley and hydro s3
Like I said...... it’s well documented on here. I’ve got a “Wellycooler” on mine fitted by Badger5 and you wouldn’t know it was even there, keeps the fog lights the lot.

Front mount all the way in my opinion.

The OP is asking if an upgraded intercooler will prolong the life of his turbo.

the answer to that is no, so the answer is stick with OEM if that doesn’t cause heat soak issues.

The OP is asking if an upgraded intercooler will prolong the life of his turbo.

the answer to that is no, so the answer is stick with OEM if that doesn’t cause heat soak issues.

Your answer is no your answer to the wellycooler is it makes cars look chavvy also........ next?

Reactions: Bigjase88