Has anyone have experience with these aftermarket led headlights?

GeneralA3

Reaction score
They are on Aliexpress for around £500. You can find them on eBay too for bit more £600 if you want them delivered quicker. There are also replica bi-xenon copies that are plug and play.

Full LED lights with dynamic turn signals so would go well with the facelift led taillights. Just wondering if anyone has brought these before and if any good? For the same price you can usually find some genuine used bi-xenon.

The good thing about the aftermarket ones they are plug and play and no need for coding etc but worried about the reliability! Plus they are fully sealed led units so can’t change the bulbs. I presume LED’s should last long.

Genuine bi-xenons you can change the bulbs and ofcourse would keep car fully OEM. But downside needs coding and I am sure will cost more to fit them on.

So just wondering the best and most cost effective approach.

DB97E366 8A3E 491D 8365 67F1E65D2103

Attachments

• F25AD4F6-12DE-4C8E-A97D-8DAB6AD14EED.jpeg
    F25AD4F6-12DE-4C8E-A97D-8DAB6AD14EED.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 3273B9F6-1123-4939-BBAB-5096AE6843D1.jpeg
    3273B9F6-1123-4939-BBAB-5096AE6843D1.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 480
  • 08C16E5C-4261-48C0-97F3-EEABF3AEF55F.jpeg
    08C16E5C-4261-48C0-97F3-EEABF3AEF55F.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 172
  • C919D5F4-5092-4B4B-8D18-4A71665EEB44.jpeg
    C919D5F4-5092-4B4B-8D18-4A71665EEB44.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 161AA54B-FE41-476B-A41F-5BD9300992BA.jpeg
    161AA54B-FE41-476B-A41F-5BD9300992BA.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Reactions: Dubjam
A couple of my customers had these fitted. No issues as yet and do what headlights are supposed to do.
Thanks I presume they work with the cars normal functions such as Auto light switch, Get home safe lights etc how much would it cost to fit the aftermarkets lights into the car? Feel like asking so many questions to you lol just getting all the parts and prices in mind before committing to the works.

Thanks I presume they work with the cars normal functions such as Auto light switch, Get home safe lights etc how much would it cost to fit the aftermarkets lights into the car? Feel like asking so many questions to you lol just getting all the parts and prices in mind before committing to the works.
Seem to work with no issues and are plug and play. I don’t supply these, customers purchase from aliexpress etc. Would need to message for a fitting quote.

Everything is made in China anyways. Your genuine ones are probs also made in china

i was looking at these but i was unsure if they were suitable for RHD cars

Reactions: Audi-Sport-Driver
Everything is made in China anyways. Your genuine ones are probs also made in china

Not sure if it’s the same now compared to back in the days but LHD headlight beams point the wrong way compared to rhd. Maybe there’s some kind of adjustment, I remember my a6 had a lhd setting in the MMI and when you switched it on the beam pattern changed slightly.
Also for mot the beam pattern needs to be correct.

Not sure if it’s the same now compared to back in the days but LHD headlight beams point the wrong way compared to rhd. Maybe there’s some kind of adjustment, I remember my a6 had a lhd setting in the MMI and when you switched it on the beam pattern changed slightly.
Also for mot the beam pattern needs to be correct.
Yeah thats what i was worried about.

i certainly wouldn’t

a) want to dazzle other drivers
b) have to re-fit standard lights every 12 months for MOT

i have an s-line bumper but still have the halogen headlights and it looks naff.

FF6F7FD4 9110 4FDD A9C2 5DF9E064DE8A

Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE
I have a SEAT with LED headlights. There’s no need to change anything for driving abroad (unlike in my A4 with bi-xenon) because of the beam pattern, so I’d guess they’d be ok for LHD and RHD.

I have a SEAT with LED headlights. There’s no need to change anything for driving abroad (unlike in my A4 with bi-xenon) because of the beam pattern, so I’d guess they’d be ok for LHD and RHD.
I’m not sure that is correct, i had a SEAT Leon FR with LED’s and the beam angle was handed for RHD (higher on the left hand side with your bum in the drivers seat) check for youself next time against a garage door or such likes.

They can provide RHD ones but you have to specify it to the seller when you order them as by default they send out LHD ones. Also the ones on eBay (same ones on aliexpress) are RHD.

I’m not sure that is correct, i had a SEAT Leon FR with LED’s and the beam angle was handed for RHD (higher on the left hand side with your bum in the drivers seat) check for youself next time against a garage door or such likes.
You're right of cousre. To clarify, there is no adjustment possible, no "abroad" setting in the MMI. But you're also correct in that the beam patttern is still assymetric. It's just the the light pattern (probably because of the sharp cut-offs with LED lights) is accepatbel for driving abroad for short durations, as it meets the "tourist" light levels:

"The light beam of the dipped beam lights is asymmetric: the side of the road on which you are driving is lit more intensely. When a car that is manufactured in a country that drives on the right travels to a country that drives on the left (or vice versa), it is normally necessary to cover part of the headlight bulbs with stickers or to change the adjustment of the headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers. In such cases, the regulations specify certain light values that must be complied with for designated points of the light distribution. This is known as “Tourist light”. The light distribution of the headlights allows the specific “tourist light” values to be met without the need for stickers or changes being made to the settings. Note “Tourist light” is only allowed temporarily. If you are planning a long stay in a country that drives on the other side, you should take the vehicle to an Authorised Technical Service to change the headlights."

I think I'd be more concerned over the intensity of the beam. If they use cheap LED units , you'll get nice white candles that give you a whole 2 metres throw and last a year.

They do look nice though.

China is RHD anyway, so they will definitely produce RHD models. I doubt the genuine Audi ones are made in China, Audi's production plants are in Germany, Hungary, Belgium and Mexico, but they could contain Chinese sourced components, which I would put money on being of higher quality than what is used in those lamps.

Big job to try them out, but if it works out and they have a good light throw and last, would be a cool modification!

Reactions: GeneralA3
They are on Aliexpress for around £500. You can find them on eBay too for bit more £600 if you want them delivered quicker. There are also replica bi-xenon copies that are plug and play.

Full LED lights with dynamic turn signals so would go well with the facelift led taillights. Just wondering if anyone has brought these before and if any good? For the same price you can usually find some genuine used bi-xenon.

The good thing about the aftermarket ones they are plug and play and no need for coding etc but worried about the reliability! Plus they are fully sealed led units so can’t change the bulbs. I presume LED’s should last long.

Genuine bi-xenons you can change the bulbs and ofcourse would keep car fully OEM. But downside needs coding and I am sure will cost more to fit them on.

View attachment 237209

I bought and fitted these a month ago. They work fine, plug and play, look very nice and I hope they last good few years. I requested the seller for RHD, no issue there. I can see the beam kick-up pattern in the on the left. The alignment was off on passenger side so I corrected that.

The thing I noticed was that, I had DRLs off on Switch position O with Halogen lights, that doesn't seem to work. The DRLs stay on always. I have rechecked that on VCDS again as well. So I'm assuming that light Channels for headlights probably won't behave the same as before with these headlights.

Reactions: GeneralA3
Yeah thats what i was worried about.

i certainly wouldn’t

a) want to dazzle other drivers
b) have to re-fit standard lights every 12 months for MOT

i have an s-line bumper but still have the halogen headlights and it looks naff.

View attachment 237249
Really don't understand why you would have to put orig lights back on before MOT?? Looks like the person where u go knows too too much about audis particularly :D And gets picky :D Since I retrofitted, the garages has absolutely no idea what type of headlights car meant to have ...

I think I'd be more concerned over the intensity of the beam. If they use cheap LED units , you'll get nice white candles that give you a whole 2 metres throw and last a year.

They do look nice though.

China is RHD anyway, so they will definitely produce RHD models. I doubt the genuine Audi ones are made in China, Audi's production plants are in Germany, Hungary, Belgium and Mexico, but they could contain Chinese sourced components, which I would put money on being of higher quality than what is used in those lamps.

Big job to try them out, but if it works out and they have a good light throw and last, would be a cool modification!
They are made in china even genuine ones becuse it is mass production, but under rules. So germans will tell them exactly what to do and how to do it and with many inspections , and testing...

View attachment 237209

Very tempting grrrr
Many satisfied customers I think am gonna get them :culpability::sly:

I bought and fitted these a month ago. They work fine, plug and play, look very nice and I hope they last good few years. I requested the seller for RHD, no issue there. I can see the beam kick-up pattern in the on the left. The alignment was off on passenger side so I corrected that.

The thing I noticed was that, I had DRLs off on Switch position O with Halogen lights, that doesn't seem to work. The DRLs stay on always. I have rechecked that on VCDS again as well. So I'm assuming that light Channels for headlights probably won't behave the same as before with these headlights.
How long did yours take to get delivered?

China is RHD anyway...
It isn't. They drive on the right.

Hong Kong doesn't, but Hong Kong doesn't count because we gave it away. Or the Chinese stole it, depending on your point of view.

Last edited:
It isn't. They drive on the right.

Hong Kong doesn't, but Hong Kong doesn't count because we gave it away. Or the Chinese stole it, depending on your point of view.

You are right China is lhd like the Americans. Probably due to the shedload of rubbish imports from USA. Loads of the Americans cars wouldn’t make it over here but end up in China.

Hong Kong is rhd like us and still do after the 1997 hand over. Another point of view is Hong Kong, from originally the island to eventually big parts of the mainland, can be seen as stolen by British at a time the Chinese was weak. Similarly with Macau and Portugal.
There’s always 2 sides to history, the winners and the losers.
British colonial rule owned over half the planet at one point but it’s been pretty much all handed back now. Hong Kong is no exception.
I try not to dig into this too much with family on both sides of the fence :wink:

How long did yours take to get delivered?
I ordered off AliExpress. Free shipping option for UK is 'AliExpress Standard' shipping. My order was at local delivery depot in 11 days from dispatch, came via Netherlands but took another 3 days for me receiving the customs payment letter, making payment and then item delivered the following day. Apart from 1 order, all my order with this method arrived within 14 days from dispatch.

The seller is also on AliBaba, price can be cheaper but I was advised AliBaba standard method EMS will take minimum 40 days due to covid related issues. Also AliExpress option has Free Local Return option. Even on AliExpress AKD have two stores. Please note, similar light is also sold by others on AliExpress, with some using Halogen Bulb for Dipped Beam.

Same person manages communication on AliBaba and AliExpress for AKD and he/she is only good at making sale!!

Very tempting grrrr

I ordered off AliExpress. Free shipping option for UK is 'AliExpress Standard' shipping. My order was at local delivery depot in 11 days from dispatch, came via Netherlands but took another 3 days for me receiving the customs payment letter, making payment and then item delivered the following day. Apart from 1 order, all my order with this method arrived within 14 days from dispatch.

The seller is also on AliBaba, price can be cheaper but I was advised AliBaba standard method EMS will take minimum 40 days due to covid related issues. Also AliExpress option has Free Local Return option. Even on AliExpress AKD have two stores. Please note, similar light is also sold by others on AliExpress, with some using Halogen Bulb for Dipped Beam.

Same person manages communication on AliBaba and AliExpress for AKD and he/she is only good at making sale!!
Seller dispatched within 2 days from order.
I do have an item currently stuck in Netherlands for over 2 weeks now, that is coming same route as these headlights and using same AliExpress shipping method.

Very tempting grrrr

I know some buyers in Italy who have had the same headlights for over a year. I just hope it last few years. I also bought some cheap 6500K H8 from AliExpress for foglights to match the glow, that worked without any bulb error.

I know some buyers in Italy who have had the same headlights for over a year. I just hope it last few years. I also bought some cheap 6500K H8 from AliExpress for foglights to match the glow, that worked without any bulb error.
I Have orig retrofitted from halogen, but DRL is not that white.. Around 5000k or less but I didn't know in that time and mine fog leds are 6000k so I see the difference

I Have orig retrofitted from halogen, but DRL is not that white.. Around 5000k or less but I didn't know in that time and mine fog leds are 6000k so I see the difference
I'm not too sure. I just went with 6500K for fogs option because AKD rate their light as 6000K, but I'm not able to tell difference between fogs and dipped beams now. I would say the DRLs are probably whiter than dipped beams.
IMG 20210713 214538

Did you sell old ones?
If I get these, I need to sell mine to get money back
i wish i could. Halogen won't sell for that much though but I haven't tried yet. If you have xenons then you probably will make money back.
That's BMW G30 next to my A3, AKD light seems to have more lumens than OEM BMW headlight.
IMG 20210713 222359

i wish i could. Halogen won't sell for that much though but I haven't tried yet. If you have xenons then you probably will make money back.
That's BMW G30 next to my A3, AKD light seems to have more lumens than OEM BMW headlight.
View attachment 239800
I sold on FB marketplace for good price £250
Yeh I have LED DRLs and even main beam I replaced with LEDs
I am checking your bumper but you even have spoiler and it looks your car is too high like lifted??

I am checking your bumper but you even have spoiler and it looks your car is too high like lifted??
Sorry did U have halogen original and you changed to LED bulbs?

It's a standard suspension, like SE model but Sport trim.. the ground clearance under the front bumper is less than OEM SLine bumper though.

Is this a better angle?
IMG 20210713 231603
IMG 20210713 225903

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi-Sport-Driver and Dubjam
Sorry did U have halogen original and you changed to LED bulbs?
Originally I had halogen and even there I replaced to all Led.
Then I retrofitted and got these below
And there I replaced beam bulbs to LED and removed ballast,connected straight with two cables.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210713_231725_com.google.android.gm_edit_137563064758696.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713_231725_com.google.android.gm_edit_137563064758696.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot_20210713_232130_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137762266987311.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713_232130_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137762266987311.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_20210713_232104_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137769758969602.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713_232104_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137769758969602.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20210713_231956_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137749189060230.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713_231956_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137749189060230.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210713_232242_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137807761453450.jpg
    Screenshot_20210713_232242_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd_edit_137807761453450.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 123
Last edited: