My opinion - 2.0T Petrol vs 2.0 Diesel 170

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I got my car back yesterday after having its new steering rack and returned the A4 Avant 170 Diesel. After 100miles in the Diesel I got to know the engine quite well.

Main points.

170 Diesel Engine is much much smoother than the 140, very very impressed but no patch on the 2.0T.

Found the torque band on the 170 way too narrow, pulling out of junctions was a nightmare as you have to wait till the engine hits the torque band, it was almost digital. Its like 'nothing, nothing, nothing then BANG there it all is'!

I did feel the extra torque that the 170 has over the 2.0T but it wasn’t as smooth or as progressive, when it got going though 50mph+ then it was fine but it’s the getting up to speed part that’s annoying.

Overall performance the 170 would be biting at the heels of the 2.0T on a straight line but through corners and through twistys etc I reckon the way the digital torque is delivered it would make the 170 slower.

Engine noise wise obviously the 2.0T wins no problem but I was VERY impressed with the quietness of the 170 ‘for a diesel’. Still can’t get use to the vibration you get through the pedals though.

Economy wise I got 30mpg overall over the 100miles, I did give the car a hard time, I reckon if I treated the 2.0T the same way it would give probably 25mpg ish.

Overall I liked the 170 engine, better than I thought it would be, I’d suggest to anyone that before buying the 2.0T to try out the 170. I currently do 20k miles and yes I would save a lot on fuel costs but the smoothness and flexibility of the engine out weights the extra costs – just!

I have re-blufinned the car now and boy did I miss it!!!!

RobinA3 said:
Economy wise I got 30mpg overall over the 100miles

Jesus,even if you were driving it like you were being filmed and Jamie Theakstone was doing the commentary,that's ABYSMAL for a diesel !
I ragged the **** off my 1.9tdi A4 and it gave 49mpg.
I'm hardly sympathetic to my 2.0tdi 140 and it gives the low 40's (which I think is bad enough),but 30mpg !!!???
Holy moly..that's ridiculously bad.

RobinA3,

Was it a manual gearbox or DSG you borrowed >

Depends what you mean by ragging it really. If you're literally full-throttle as much as possible and driving it like you stole it then 30mpg is more than possible but under such conditions I seriously doubt a 2.0T would have returned over 20.

For reference, my old 140 did about 25mpg round the Nurburgring.

I was also given a 170 as a loaner, while my 2.0T was in for service a few months back. In my case, the loaner was an A3 Sportback.

I was also very impressed with the engine, performance-wise there was nothing in it compared to my car. Very smooth and quiet too, although still not quite as smooth as the BMW diesels.

I actually thought that the torque characteristics were quite progressive, and very similar to my 2.0T. I didn't really experience any of the 'on-off switch, binary throttle' that you get with the 140 diesel.

I had an A4 Avant 170Q as a courtesy car for a couple of days and the DIS was showing 32mpg(so probably nearer 30mpg). I was driving it pretty much as I drive my own car (A4 saloon 130 FWD) which gets around 40mpg.

Detector said:
RobinA3,

Was it a manual gearbox or DSG you borrowed >

it was a manual

next time i will ask for a DSG to see what its like.

RobinA3 said:
it was a manual

next time i will ask for a DSG to see what its like.

I wouldn't if I were you, if you thought there was a delay in pickup with manual, with DSG that will only be worse.

Heads down, INCOMING :cool:

Or as bowfer so eloquently put it, it's **** !

I'll save you the bother,it'll be ****.
Next.

Purely in the interest of balance - I have a 170 with a DSG and in my oppinion it's 'brilliant'. Best A3 I've ever driven!

Good Afternoon Bowfer.

it might be **** if your not used to it but i think you learn to adapt to that delay to the point where you can get close to the reaction of a manual - + launch control gets you off the line pretty sharpish!

I find that the problem of vibrating pedals is reduced by a third in a DSG also since the vibes are the worst through the clutch pedal, brake pedal not too bad

steve184 said:
it might be **** if your not used to it but i think you learn to adapt to that delay to the point where you can get close to the reaction of a manual

LOL !