Strange rattle type sound when coming down from rpms

Ryan2412

Reaction score
I have an Audi A4 b8 2.0 Tfsi. I had an advisory on my MOT certificate to say it had a small oil leak and upon checking it was coming from the brake vacuum pump. We took the pump off and replaced the seals which did indeed fix the leak, however when we started the car we noticed that there is a strange rattle type sound that happens when the car is coming down from its rpms. If you Rev the car it sounds fine, it only makes the sound when the RPMs are dropping, does anyone know what it could be and if it sounds like it could potentially be the vacuum pump that we took off? Thanks in advance to anyone who may know the problem.

I have an Audi A4 b8 2.0 Tfsi. I had an advisory on my MOT certificate to say it had a small oil leak and upon checking it was coming from the brake vacuum pump. We took the pump off and replaced the seals which did indeed fix the leak, however when we started the car we noticed that there is a strange rattle type sound that happens when the car is coming down from its rpms. If you Rev the car it sounds fine, it only makes the sound when the RPMs are dropping, does anyone know what it could be and if it sounds like it could potentially be the vacuum pump that we took off? Thanks in advance to anyone who may know the problem.
Fairly common issue for the 2.0 TFSI. It's the turbo actuator rattling, there will be some play in it so when letting off the accelerator the air is making it rattle up and down to my understanding?
You can buy a clip to fix it but PITA to fit it. I've got the same issue on mine and took it to a garage to look at but they said it would require dropping the engine down to fit the clip. Not enough space from the top side of the engine either to reach in and fit it.

Alternative I think would be fitting a new turbo actuator, think Forge does an aftermarket one.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Fairly common issue for the 2.0 TFSI. It's the turbo actuator rattling, there will be some play in it so when letting off the accelerator the air is making it rattle up and down to my understanding?
You can buy a clip to fix it but PITA to fit it. I've got the same issue on mine and took it to a garage to look at but they said it would require dropping the engine down to fit the clip. Not enough space from the top side of the engine either to reach in and fit it.

Alternative I think would be fitting a new turbo actuator, think Forge does an aftermarket one.

Hope this helps.

Hi, thanks for replying so fast. So if it is the turbo actuator making the sound is it okay to keep driving the car without having the clip you mentioned fitted? I have a video of the sound but it won’t let me post it here.
When I drove the car last and when I hit about 50mph I had an engine light start to flash and a EPC light came on, the car shook and sounded like a tractor but I managed to crawl home in it. We hooked it up to the diagnostics and it said cylinder 1 misfire, the car then had a tonne of white smoke from the exhaust too which I found to be a stuck open injector, we replaced the injector and tested the coil in Cylinder 1 which we found to be faulty so replaced that coil too, started the car today and the smoke has gone but the car still shakes a bit and the same sound where it rattles a lot upon coming down from its revs is present. I don’t want to drive it incase it makes it worse, do you use Reddit atall? I could post the video of the sound there so you could compare it to yours maybe?
Thanks for your help

Hope this helps.

Hey, so I just went on YouTube and tried to find the rattling sound the turbo actuator might make and a video has the exact same sound as mine, his is the turbo wastegate, does this mean I need a new wastegate or do you know maybe what the next step would be ?
Sorry if I ask silly questions, I’m not the best when it comes to mechanics haha but like to fix the problem myself if I can.

this is the link to the sound mine makes, thanks

Last edited:
Hey, so I just went on YouTube and tried to find the rattling sound the turbo actuator might make and a video has the exact same sound as mine, his is the turbo wastegate, does this mean I need a new wastegate or do you know maybe what the next step would be ?
Sorry if I ask silly questions, I’m not the best when it comes to mechanics haha but like to fix the problem myself if I can.
I'll be honest I'm no expert I'm afraid. I can't answer for all the other issues in your previous post but the waste gate rattle shouldn't stop you from driving the car. Mine has had the rattle for 11 months maybe & I haven't managed to get someone to put the clip on yet but car is fine to my knowledge...

I think I know the video you're referring to, it sounds like a bike chain freewheeling right?

I'd say it's a job for a garage with a proper lift to put the car on, too tricky an area to access otherwise. It's easier on the American 2.0TFSI's because they don't have a big catalytic converter in the way!!

Not too sure about wastegate Vs turbo actuator rod but I believe it is the actual actuator rod going into the turbo which rattles.

Read this thread too:

I'll be honest I'm no expert I'm afraid. I can't answer for all the other issues in your previous post but the waste gate rattle shouldn't stop you from driving the car. Mine has had the rattle for 11 months maybe & I haven't managed to get someone to put the clip on yet but car is fine to my knowledge...

I think I know the video you're referring to, it sounds like a bike chain freewheeling right?

I'd say it's a job for a garage with a proper lift to put the car on, too tricky an area to access otherwise. It's easier on the American 2.0TFSI's because they don't have a big catalytic converter in the way!!

Not too sure about wastegate Vs turbo actuator rod but I believe it is the actual actuator rod going into the turbo which rattles.

Yes that’s the video, that’s the best way to describe it actually, it sounds just like a bike chain freewheeling. Thanks for your help, if you hadn’t mentioned the turbo I would have been replacing the vacuum pump to make sure it wasn’t that haha. I’ll get it booked in at the local garage. Appreciate it!

Hello Ryan
Just reading your previous post regarding the stuck open injector,and without wishing to sound rude I do hope that you had an oil and filter change afterwards as the excess fuel that was dumped into cylinder 1 could/would of got Into your oil and will have dire consequences if left.
This will cause oil pressure issues and as the cam chain tensioner is oil fed this could be the source of the rattle.
It is much easier and cheaper to have an oil and filter change to eliminate this than any other option.
Hope this helps you

Hello Ryan
Just reading your previous post regarding the stuck open injector,and without wishing to sound rude I do hope that you had an oil and filter change afterwards as the excess fuel that was dumped into cylinder 1 could/would of got Into your oil and will have dire consequences if left.
This will cause oil pressure issues and as the cam chain tensioner is oil fed this could be the source of the rattle.
It is much easier and cheaper to have an oil and filter change to eliminate this than any other option.
Hope this helps you
Good afternoon,

my apologies for the extremely delayed response, I never got an email to say you’d replied and I havent been on this website since. I did indeed get the oil change and filter change and the rattle was actually coming from the turbo wastegate actuator arm which I put the temporary anti rattle clip on to fix.

I actually have another problem. I haven’t driven the car since the injector was stuck open because I had problems getting the rattle clip on the turbo arm and so I only drove it yesterday and when I did everything was fine and the car was running smoother than it did the day I got it. I noticed however that I was losing fuel VERY quickly. I had 165 miles of fuel left and in a 7 mile trip had lost 95 miles of it and although I didn’t notice smoke coming from the exhaust when I come to a stop I could see smoke, but for the amount of fuel I’d lost I was would be expecting clouds and clouds of it but there wasn’t. I have ordered 4 new injectors so I can replace the others but I’m not sure it is the injectors. I pulled the coil packs and the spark plugs and they were completely dry. I’m not sure what else could cause me to lose that amount of fuel? It’s had a new high pressure fuel pump a few weeks ago and I haven’t driven the car since it was fitted but I felt around that and everything was dry. Do you have any idea what could cause this? The car isn’t idling rough and is running perfectly, it’s just I lost all of that fuel and had a small amount of smoke. The oil stinks of fuel so obviously once the new injectors are in I’ll do another oil change etc and an engine flush but I don’t really want to do that unless I know it was for certain the injectors that have caused this problem.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks