Audi a3 saloon 2015 intermittent starting issue

Ridwan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an a3 saloon 2015,2.0 TDI S Line. Recently I have been having intermittent starting issues. It does eventually turn over, sometimes instantly, sometimes after about 7 seconds. I had the battery and alternator checked and they were OK.

Once started it doesn't give me any issues unless I leave it for 1.5 to 2 days. My local mechanic just said to leave it till it gets worse but I'm not happy with that. Please can any give me some advice?

Hi cant for life in me rember what ita called but its a sensor that could be the issue

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies, BTW forgot to mention, no engine management light. Can it still be a sensor?

Thanks for your replies, BTW forgot to mention, no engine management light. Can it still be a sensor?
A sensor can still send a signal within normal operating range, like a thermometer showing between 0-100, but the signal it sends could be fibs/bs. In that scenario sensor is faulty but won’t flag an error as the signal is still within 0-100. Error only occurs when it shows something outside the range like -100 or 1000 in the thermometer example.

A sensor can still send a signal within normal operating range, like a thermometer showing between 0-100, but the signal it sends could be fibs/bs. In that scenario sensor is faulty but won’t flag an error as the signal is still within 0-100. Error only occurs when it shows something outside the range like -100 or 1000 in the thermometer example.
Is it expensive to repair?

Is it expensive to repair?
Not sure.
only guessing it’s a sensor problem. Could be a number of things. Fuel, fuel filter, injectors, sensor, the lists goes on. Needs a proper diagnostic at someone who knows what they are doing or like your mechanic says wait till something breaks.

Reactions: Ridwan
Thank you, think I will leave it and see what happens!

I had similiar issue intermitten was crankshaft sensor not expensive to but difficult to fit on my A4 when car was warm it was fine

I had similiar issue intermitten was crankshaft sensor not expensive to but difficult to fit on my A4 when car was warm it was fine

Hmm, well it gives me peace of mind knowing it could be down to a sensor only. At the moment I can put up with it, so will look to repair this in the near future!

I'm glad that it's possibly nothing major, also iv googled it and I am having the engine vibrations when idle also, so I'm pretty confident it may just be the crank shaft sensor!

Forgot to ask, did it thrown a code?

Hi all,

I have an a3 saloon 2015,2.0 TDI S Line. Recently I have been having intermittent starting issues. It does eventually turn over, sometimes instantly, sometimes after about 7 seconds. I had the battery and alternator checked and they were OK.

Once started it doesn't give me any issues unless I leave it for 1.5 to 2 days. My local mechanic just said to leave it till it gets worse but I'm not happy with that. Please can any give me some advice?
I have same car and sometimes starts longer sometimes shorter but never had like 7 seconds ... Max 3 to 4 seconds. It all depends of weather conditions too temp changes etc.. Cars sat mostly outside ... I can giv you advice
1. change all glow plugs 2. Change oil to castrol 3. Clean camshaft position sensor 4. replace v-ribbed belt
Did they check starter ?
I had previously camshaft position sensor fault and I checked on YT and removed sensor cleaned it and cleaned hole inside put back in since never had fault for sensor anymore in VCDS : )

I have same car and sometimes starts longer sometimes shorter but never had like 7 seconds ... Max 3 to 4 seconds. It all depends of weather conditions too temp changes etc.. Cars sat mostly outside ... I can giv you advice
1. change all glow plugs 2. Change oil to castrol 3. Clean camshaft position sensor 4. replace v-ribbed belt
Did they check starter ?
I had previously camshaft position sensor fault and I checked on YT and removed sensor cleaned it and cleaned hole inside put back in since never had fault for sensor anymore in VCDS : )
Hi, I finally got to replacing the sensor, crank position, no luck! Did you have same issue as me? Thanks

Did they check starter ?
Haven't checked starter, but replaced sensor, did battery alternator check, no codes apart from glow plug? I'm stumped,