Strange S-Tronic gearbox noise

TomCAudi

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to this but desperately trying to find out some information.
My 18 plate A3 with only 18,000 miles seems to have developed some sort of gearbox problem. Once the car is up to temperature, under medium load on the throttle, e.g pulling out of a junction, the gearbox makes a squealing/screeching sound for a split second between 3 and 4th gear. I’ve got it booked into my Audi dealer but was wondering whether anyone else has had this issue, and have had it resolved? Thanks

Not heard of this before but what spec car/year/STronic do you have?
Do you have an audio recording?

How does pulling out of junction marry up to 3rd/4th - any context you can share?

I’ve got a 2018 1.5tfsi S-Line. I’ve had since December where it only 8000 miles on it when I bought it, the mileage I’ve done haven’t been hard miles by any means. Getting an audio recording is on my list of things to do this weekend.

Pulling out of junction was a just an example, really what I mean is pulling away from stationary and going up through the gears. If I’m super gentle then I have no noises at all, everything is as it should. However whenever ask a bit more of the car, so under medium load, between 3rd and 4th gear as it’s changing, I get my squealing or screeching noise. Between other gears I’ve not picked up on anything. Like I said in my first post, this problem only really happens once the car is up to temperature. It only started happening about a week and a bit ago, but I’m already paranoid as it’s definitely not normal.

I found another thread on it where others have had a similar issue but as far as I could see, not solution was ever posted. So any help from anyone is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Managed to capture some videos of the problem.

I have don’t worry. Booked in for next week, which was the earliest they could do. Trust me, I am not happy, especially as the car has only done 18k and on a 2018 plate. Was only out of warranty in June. However nobody seems to know what it could be.

I have don’t worry. Booked in for next week, which was the earliest they could do. Trust me, I am not happy, especially as the car has only done 18k and on a 2018 plate. Was only out of warranty in June. However nobody seems to know what it could be.

It is always with cars many strange noises , bangs, knockings etc.. always something new...
When I hear something tiny little weird noise, it driving me crazy .. I have now issue (on my 2.0 tdi) Sometimes in the morning or after work when I start the car The engine noise is quite loud and after 2 or 3 seconds it goes to normal. Or in the morning belt on my drivers side is whistling when stationary like; ''whe'' -whe-whe and when I start moving and driving it stops whistling. But mechanik told me it is belt tensioner.. need to have more tension it is loose..

Once the problems sorted I’ll be happy. Once I know what the problem is I’ll make sure I’ll put it on here Incase anyone else is experiencing the same.

Reactions: mirco15 and Audi-Sport-Driver