A3 8V subwoofer stopped working

Thomsey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Couple days ago my subwoofer stopped working, I have the standard non b&o version sound system so I think it runs off mmi.

I have checked to see if it was the sub itself by trying out another identical sub but still no sound.
I then tried to look for the sound system fuse but I don't have one so I guess that slot is just for the b&o ones. Wiring seems fine in the boot but I haven't checked behind the mmi because I don't have the pins to remove it.

If anyone has any idea what's stopping it from working please let me know :)

All other speakers work and mmi is working as it should.

Wiring will run from the back of the car to the quad lock at the back of your MMI, black part of the quad lock (middle) top two pins. Check for continuity with a multi meter / toner. Don’t need to remove the pins from the housing, just the quad lock from the back of the MMI.

Reactions: Thomsey
Wiring will run from the back of the car to the quad lock at the back of your MMI, black part of the quad lock (middle) top two pins. Check for continuity with a multi meter / toner. Don’t need to remove the pins from the housing, just the quad lock from the back of the M

Wiring will run from the back of the car to the quad lock at the back of your MMI, black part of the quad lock (middle) top two pins. Check for continuity with a multi meter / toner. Don’t need to remove the pins from the housing, just the quad lock from the back of the MMI.
Hiya, bit of a slow reply coz I couldn't get my hands on a multimeter straight away.
Sadly I'm getting no continuity through the pins on the back of the mmi. I am getting it through the female part on the cable quad lock bit so that's good I guess.

I'm guessing this means I'll need a new mmi to get this working again? Do you know if it's a case of plugging in another one (eBay used) and being good to go?

Thanks for your help!

Hiya, bit of a slow reply coz I couldn't get my hands on a multimeter straight away.
Sadly I'm getting no continuity through the pins on the back of the mmi. I am getting it through the female part on the cable quad lock bit so that's good I guess.

I'm guessing this means I'll need a new mmi to get this working again? Do you know if it's a case of plugging in another one (eBay used) and being good to go?

Thanks for your help!
Well if you are getting continuity from the sub connector to the quad lock then your wiring is good so the issue gonna gonna be one of the following:

- spread connectors on the quad lock.
- spead connectors on the sub connector housing.
- faulty amp in the MMI
- faulty Sub

I would start by connecting another speaker to the sub side wiring and by removing the connector pins and giving them a squeeze.

Do all A3s have a subwoofer? Where is it located? I have a 2017 TDI Sline, it's got what I assume a standard system but seems to lack bass and I thought with my 57-reg Sport having subwoofer as standard in the rear left bootspace this new car would have something too, but doesn't sound like it.

You only get a sub, and indeed front centre speaker, if you have the Audi sound system or B&O sound system. Location of sub depends on body shape:

- 3Door Hatch = inside spare wheel.
- Sportback = inside spare wheel.
- Saloon = in parcel shelf.
- cabrio = you don’t get one