First steps to tuning A3 quattro

Alan Ahern

Reaction score
I have a USA spec A3 quattro (220bhp) s-line sedan - Prestige plus, (left hand drive - I live in Europe). I'm new to this and am starting on the journey of modifying and tuning. I will start with small suspension upgrades - Eibach lowering springs and spacers. I will keep the stock 18" alloys for now so my first question is what are the optimum size spacers I should use? I don't want any possibility of rubbing the arches so I'm guessing 10mm. Secondly I will look at upgrading the exhaust. I have looked at videos of various makes and specifications and have settled on ( I think) Magnaflow cat back resonated touring. Whilst I want some power improvement and better sound, this is a daily driver so I don't want excessive cabin noise. I'm also considering a cold air intake but again don't want excessive raucous sound under acceleration. Finally I will go to stage 1 and DSG tune. I'm estimating that the above should give me in the region of 300/320BHP which will be plenty for what I want. Thoughts and suggestions and comments would be very welcome. Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a USA spec A3 quattro (220bhp) s-line sedan, (left hand drive - I live in Europe). I'm new to this and am starting on the journey of modifying and tuning. I will start with small suspension upgrades - Eibach lowering springs and spacers. I will keep the stock 18" alloys for now so my first question is what are the optimum size spacers I should use? I don't want any possibility of rubbing the arches so I'm guessing 10mm. Secondly I will look at upgrading the exhaust. I have looked at videos of various makes and specifications and have settled on ( I think) Magnaflow cat back resonated touring. Whilst I want some power improvement and better sound, this is a daily driver so I don't want excessive cabin noise. I'm also considering a cold air intake but again don't want excessive raucous sound under acceleration. Finally I will go to stage 1 and DSG tune. I'm estimating that the above should give me in the region of 300/320BHP which will be plenty for what I want. Thoughts and suggestions and comments would be very welcome. Thank you.
Hi
First of all, ar you sur that your A3 is 220 bhp? Od u already did 1st stage software remap? ;)
Second, keeping 18'' little wheels on massive saloon isn't good ieda.. it is not tuning then I would suggest 19'' ;)
Don't worry you will not have any rubbing even if you fit 255 30 R19 to the front and 245 35 R29 to the rear
Third,About suspension and springs get very good quality ones, as cheap ones are only make car worse.
Sourth; definately u will need exhaust from armytrix ! The amazing sound will be guaranted.
Lastly (for now) as you saying you have 220BHP you already have stage 1 and you will have to perform stage 2 :)

Hi
First of all, ar you sur that your A3 is 220 bhp? Od u already did 1st stage software remap? ;)
Second, keeping 18'' little wheels on massive saloon isn't good ieda.. it is not tuning then I would suggest 19'' ;)
Don't worry you will not have any rubbing even if you fit 255 30 R19 to the front and 245 35 R29 to the rear
Third,About suspension and springs get very good quality ones, as cheap ones are only make car worse.
Sourth; definately u will need exhaust from armytrix ! The amazing sound will be guaranted.
Lastly (for now) as you saying you have 220BHP you already have stage 1 and you will have to perform stage 2 :)
Thanks for your reply. Yes - US spec 2.0l quattro is 220bhp/258 ft-lb stock. (0-100kph 5.5sec - manufacturers figures). Tuners here are saying that stage 1 can add 60 to 80 bhp without putting undue strain on components. They have highly recommended DSG tune as well.

Thanks for your reply. Yes - US spec 2.0l quattro is 220bhp/258 ft-lb stock. (0-100kph 5.5sec - manufacturers figures). Tuners here are saying that stage 1 can add 60 to 80 bhp without putting undue strain on components. They have highly recommended DSG tune as well.
Well interesting ..
Where I can find specs of usa model?
Well I have A3 sportback but TDi stage 1 and now I have 220-230bhp. And yes the guy just flashed firmware to ECU and basically disabled EGR. Not sure about transmission he didn't touch it, as it isn't masive increase and transmission still can handle it thanks to dual clutch.
If you have money visit quattro dyno and they will check what you are currently on and you will take it from there.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alan Ahern
Any American you-tube channel. 2018 (8V series)
Well interesting ..
Where I can find specs of usa model?
Well I have A3 sportback but TDi stage 1 and now I have 220-230bhp. And yes the guy just flashed firmware to ECU and basically disabled EGR. Not sure about transmission he didn't touch it, as it isn't masive increase and transmission still can handle it thanks to dual clutch.
If you have money visit quattro dyno and they will check what you are currently on and you will take it from there.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
There are loads of you-tube videos - This one shows a car identical to mine except I have a grey interior.

Reactions: Audi-Sport-Driver