I think my car was broken into

Davidc1712

Reaction score
I bought my 2016 A3 about a month ago, also i live in one of the worst areas of London.

I think someone tried to steal my car today but i want to ask you guys whats your opinion.

I have the car parked on my driveway and it was dark when i tried to get into it. I noticed when i "unlocked" the car that 1. It was already unlocked and 2. The headlights didnt come on as they usually do. I always have them set on auto, i never change the setting. When i got in i noticed the lights were turned off. Its a physical switch which i never touch and no one else has access to my car so i know it wasnt me. I assumed the thief turned the lights off so that they dont shine right into my neighbours windows as theyre trying to steal the car? I also noticed the MMI screen wasnt folding/unfolding even when i attempted to use the button on the dash. It fixed when i reset the whole system though.

Am i just paranoid or did someone actually break into my car? I assume they managed to unlock it but gave uo when they realised its not push to start and that it needs a physical key? Should i be worried about the future? Can they actually steal cars which require a physical key to start it ?

I would think the physical evidence of the light switch not being in the normal position is good evidence that somebody has been in the car. The main question is how did they gain access without setting off the alarm? Is it possible that you might have left it unlocked and it was just an opportunist door-trier? I would imagine that a physical key is more secure than keyless (which has known issues), as it needs both the key and the immobiliser chip within it to operate the ignition.

agree with the above. Possible you unlocked the car with your bum, ie sat down with the key in your pocket?

Cars with a key and barrel are not simple to take but if this was me I would be popping down to Halfords and grabbing a steering lock but I would also do the following to make sure the alarm is working:

- open windows
- close doors abs lock
- wait a few mins
- lean in and wave arms around inside the car, can also try to open doors from inside

One more thing to check:

select menu > car > service and checks > keys

make sure this number matches the number of keys you have.

Reactions: RS3 S., Damo S and s3mad_dude