Stupid question... struggling to read dipstick oil levels?

wilburg

Reaction score
Hi,

Engine completely cold, car on a level surface, dipped multiple times with different dipstick rotation but my oil levels show the image below every time.. what does this mean? Am I at the lower quarter or above the max level of oil?

IMG 7796

Hi,

Engine completely cold, car on a level surface, dipped multiple times with different dipstick rotation but my oil levels show the image below every time.. what does this mean? Am I at the lower quarter or above the max level of oil?

View attachment 241859
I wouldn't expect to see the divets (dots) if the stick was 'wet' with oil, they actually look dry in the photo, so I'd say you're in the lower quarter, though can't tell from the photo.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't expect to see the divets (dots) if the stick was 'wet' with oil, they actually look dry in the photo, so I'd say you're in the lower quarter, though can't tell from the photo.

The dotted section is dry after the lower quarter, however it is consistently wet after each dip near the max/slightly above where the max is (where the oil is reflecting)

The dotted section is dry after the lower quarter, however it is consistently wet after each dip near the max/slightly above where the max is (where the oil is reflecting)
You're just collecting oil from the dip stick guide.
For comparison, try dipping the stick into a bottle of oil, this should show you the difference.

Reactions: DJAlix
Bosh 0.5L in for top up, the marked dotted section is 1L bottom to top from my understanding. As long as it's within the dotted section you're good to go.

I would advise checking the oil level when the car has been at full running temps and then left to rest for 5 mins after turning it off, obviously on level ground.

You're just collecting oil from the dip stick guide.
For comparison, try dipping the stick into a bottle of oil, this should show you the difference.

Bosh 0.5L in for top up, the marked dotted section is 1L bottom to top from my understanding. As long as it's within the dotted section you're good to go.

I would advise checking the oil level when the car has been at full running temps and then left to rest for 5 mins after turning it off, obviously on level ground.
Cheers