S6 Rear brake caliper..help!

crispin

Reaction score
Hello, I've been tring to change the rear brake pads on my 2001 S6 Avant. It was all going well until I tried to push back the caliper. I used a G clamp which did not work, then I went to Halfords and bought a winding tool which I could also not get to work. I'm worried that because I used the G clamp first I have damaged the piston. Any advice would be greatly recieved such as what direction should the piston be turned, I believe its clockwise. Its also hard to put alot of force behind the rachet when turning the tool as I do not want to damage the brake hose. I have tried it with the caliper off and also with 1 bolt in. A simple job that I'm trying to save money on has turned into a bit of a pain. I have reassembled the car and it all seems fine on the old pads. If anybody has any tips that will be great, maybe the piston can be very stiff? Thanks in advance for any help. Cris

If I remember correctly they turn in clockwise. You definately need the windback tool though.

My first attempt many years ago involved blocks of wood and a g-clamp, until I figured that they wound back. It didnt do any harm to mine.

I originally did mine with a pair of long nose pliers. Not the ideal tool, but as it was a sunday afrernoon I didnt have much choice as the car had to be back on the road ready for monday morning.

If I managed with the pliers a windback tool should be a piece of ****.

They work on a worm drive so I shouldnt think you would have damaged them

Simon

Just done it!!!! thanks for help. One side was easy, one side not so easy. I evenentually got the winding tool to work. The problem was that I first used a ratchet which just made the piston turn but the winding tool actually pushed the piston back into the caliper. I was slightly shocked when the disc was lose when I took of the rear wheel but i have been assured that this is normal and the wheel holds in on! thaks again