Just Rob's Quattro Avant Coil-over upgrade project.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Just thought I'd wack up some pics and info from my now completed Quattro Avant coil-over upgrade project and hopefully, it may be of use to other like-minded owners with similar issues, or, if they just want a change really.
From my few years on the forum and more specifically the B7 section, ride height issues are known to be an issue, either too high or too low and moreso on the rears of the Quattro avants.
Thus far there doesn't really appear to be a real answer for the low rears even when new, it just seems to be one of the B7's oddities .
My Old bus was afflicted by the said phenomenon which I managed to overcome with reasonable success by going up to Bilstein b8 damper with H&R 45mm drop springs allround.
Over the time I've had the B8's fitted it's been very good, and I was very sceptical about changing to coil-overs, sort of new territory for me but hey I'm always up for something new and a challenge...lol
In my mind the Coilover route would provide just a bit more adjustability on the rears which sometimes did drop a bit when loaded, well it's been more noticeable recently to the point where my wheel arch liner on both sides has worn through due to rubbing.

Anyway, did a fair bit of research and KW Variants seem to offer a very good product, went with Variant 2's but a mess up in the ordering dept meant I received Variant 1's, opted to keep them and I was refunded for the difference and the hassle so all ended well.

The fitting went pretty well as expected with no dramas specific to the suspension swap, fitted new top mounts as well just to cover all bases.
One front was missing the adjuster ring locking grub screw but sorted that out.
Rears can be a bit of a pain to adjust with the adjust at the top of the spring and once they are all fitted the spring tension can make moving the adjuster a tad difficult even with a hex bit holding the other half of the fitting, I found the best way was to remove the shock and camber adjuster bolts and take the pressure of the spring a bit, worked a treat and adjustment was so much easier.

That's about it for the most part, I took measurements from all 4 corners of the current ride height before doing any work, getting an accurate measurement from the rim outer edge to the wheel arch edge proved the most reliable when compared with like for like adjustment on the coil overs all matched.
My fronts were 72mm and 68mm so I went with 76mm on both fronts allowing for a 5mm settlement drop, which is probably about right with new springs, hopefully, after a few weeks, it will settle down to 70mmish .

Rears were 50mm, which I knew was a tad low so set them at 76mm as well with a view that after a bit of settling over a few weeks they will sit down around the 70mm ish mark as well.

The old bus does now sit really nice and level, best it's been for a long, long time, well probably best it's been full stop.

If you have overlooked coil-overs for your B7 whether it's a saloon or avant for whatever reason, then think again as they are a very good product, and get a lot of flack which isn't always deserved, prices vary from a few hundred to over £1500 depending on what spec you choose.
Just keep in mind that if you go with a full set, whatever the total cost is for them, divide it by 4 and you'll get a better idea of how good a quality product you are getting etc.
Pay £200, that's only £50 a corner, so don't expect miracles.
A decent set with a good warranty will be let's say, £1300 which is what I paid, that is £350 per corner but the kit is a few steps up from £50 a corner.

You do tend to get what you pay for with some products, build quality, spec and warranty.

A few pics, sorry they are not brill but you get the basics, I'll get some better outdoor ones tomorrow.
IMG 3815

IMG 3842 LI
IMG 3843 LI
IMG 3844 LI

IMG 3842 LI

After
IMG 3848

IMG 3851
IMG 3855
IMG 3856
IMG 3863 2
IMG 3869
IMG 3877
IMG 3881

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob Avant, Pie-eyedpiper and Ricky Burrows
And the old kit taken off, some rubber parts haven't faired so well..lol

IMG 3894
IMG 3896

Indeedy, sadly they won't stay that way forever but hopefully long enough. :yahoo:

The bilstein's have held up well so I'm sure a top brand like kw will hold up nicely through the years, you generally change wheels 4 times a year so plenty of opportunities for a wipe down anyway lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Rob Avant, Pie-eyedpiper, Fully and 1 other person
I won't be changing the OZ rims now Ricky, for me they look just right and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters to be honest, it's the way I like my old bus. :yes: :yes:
Those Bilstein's are good for many more years yet, someone will be getting a good setup.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
That job done and i'm back onto the BHP increase project now. :yes:

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
Well chaps, I've had a chance to do a few miles in the old bus today and try out the KW's, used various road surfaces and road types inc some really nice twisties.
They are a revelation :yahoo: , I kinda had a preconception of coilovers before now as being a bit harsh and unforgiving when using some of the lower rideheight settings, but that seems to be far from the truth, well for these particular coilovers.
They are brilliant, soaking up small bumps and larger bumps with ease but still retaining that all-important "feel" of the road surface.
Handling is spot on too, not that it was poor with the bilsteins but it's just on the next level now.
Ok they weren't a cheap option but they were new and given the results, well worth the expense and upgrade, highly recommend it to anyone thinking of a similar project /upgrade.

Happy days indeedy.:yes::icon thumright:

Reactions: Fully
Nice one Rob, another vote for coil overs here.
I was skeptical at first but love them to bits.
Going to be changing the set up on the GTI to coilovers when funds allow.
I think it’s definitely worth the investment if you’re keeping the car for a bit

Definitely on my list of things to buy for the Falcon.
Glad it all went well and you're happy with your upgrade.

may get some kw's for the TT now.:yes:

• Haha
Reactions: Fully