Vehicle electronics fault, shift to P

guzu

Reaction score
I've seen this issue has been popping up across the forum. It was occurring every couple of days, disappeared within seconds, and didn't seem to be an issue whatsoever.

But this time, I actually took it in to get it diagnosed and repaired by Audi.

But it's back again.

They diagnosed it as a worn gear shift selector. This was repaired and costed a total of £370 including diagnostics test, part, labor.

It's been 2 weeks since this was done, and thought all was solved. But this morning, it reappeared.

My question is, what do I do from here?

I'll be miffed if I've paid for this part and it wasn't the problem. I plan to call Audi today but want to prepare myself for what my options might be. Last time I booked it in, I had to wait 6 weeks for an appointment.

Gearknob itself or the actual gear unit that does the changes as £370 seems very low for the gear unit, labour, vat & diagnostics, for example the 8P gear unit for dsg, stronic is £500 plus for the part alone, I'll check etka later out of curiosity, but can't imagine its that much cheaper, although happy to be wrong.

Not actually sure... I thought it was the unit itself but looking at the invoice, might it just have been the gearknob?

Screen Shot 2021 11 12 at 094326

I'll check etka but from that price, they changed the display play that shows the position, not the mechanism, but I'll confirm, once I've cleaned up spilt coffee all over the kitchen.......

Ahh its a repair kit that changes the microswitch out, that was an issue on the 8P too but there was no repair kit just swap whole gear unit out.

Reactions: dantdi