Different seatbelts?

Ludus

Reaction score
I’ve just noticed something which is seriously bugging my OCD, my front passenger seatbelt socket is covered in soft felt, but the driver one is just plastic… is anyone else’s the same? Little details like this seriously bug me grrrr!!

2901D5F2 C2A9 47DD A2D8 2DC7FD8D8E96

0A6540D3 8563 420C BE1B 5063B208708A

Its German mindset, drivers is used more often so doesn't sit idle rubbing all the time, passengers is unused allot for most cars, so it leans against the console & its to stop scratching or wear I guess, although, 1st time I've seen them stop putting on both sides, kinda makes sense though.

Reactions: JohnM100
i think its because they dont care to make it for uk same as foot rest in metal we got plastic rest has metal cover

Its German mindset, drivers is used more often so doesn't sit idle rubbing all the time, passengers is unused allot for most cars, so it leans against the console & its to stop scratching or wear I guess, although, 1st time I've seen them stop putting on both sides, kinda makes sense though.
I suppose that makes sense, just odd they didn't just do it to both.

I had a look today, never really noticed, but yea front passenger seatbelt has it, driver's doesn't. Guess when the car is moving, the driver's seatbelt click base isn't going to be rubbing anything..

I checked as well. Can’t blame them for doing it. Straight away it’s a 50% cost saving on the felt pad.

it’s like the cost cutting story of when they removed the strike pad from both sides of a matchbox…

Good example and rife in the industry. Multiply a negligible saving by 50,000 and it’s noticeable.

Loads of other examples eg Replacing the bonnet gas strut with an 80s style coat hanger and on previous generations: deleting the little plastic sun visor flap that swung down both sides of the rear view mirror to fill the gap between the driver and passenger sun visors.

Reactions: DreamInCode