It was the noise that did it

knot

Reaction score
Well, hello,

My name is Neil, and I am an addict. At least, I am now. A single test drive of a 2017 S4 and I was hooked. The looks, the quiet reserve ... that brutal explosion when the pedal drops. Oh my. MPG be damned!

I was looking at new motors (or at least very close to new, given the current supplychain backlogs). Then got itchy and wondered what else I could get for my money. THEN THIS!

I thought I would check-in with some others suffering this terrible affliction. Hi :s4addict:

Reactions: OolongA7
Hi Neil, yes I expect an S4 does sound the business and will make even the shortest trip a hoot. I fancied one but they weren't too many about when I was looking. I should have been more patient. Oh well.
My A7 BiTdi still puts a smile on my face after nearly 3 months of ownership.
My first Audi, but probably not the last. I really should have been more patient though.

Well, hello,

My name is Neil, and I am an addict. At least, I am now. A single test drive of a 2017 S4 and I was hooked. The looks, the quiet reserve ... that brutal explosion when the pedal drops. Oh my. MPG be damned!

I was looking at new motors (or at least very close to new, given the current supplychain backlogs). Then got itchy and wondered what else I could get for my money. THEN THIS!

I thought I would check-in with some others suffering this terrible affliction. Hi :s4addict:
Welcome to Audi-sport.net

All fast cars are wonderful but what's your average speed over the last 10K ?

All fast cars are wonderful but what's your average speed over the last 10K ?
Is this the part where I ask you if you're the police and you have to tell me otherwise it's entrapment?

My old car (Honda Civic) doesn't give me those figures and since I have only been poodling about locally and I only do about 3-4k miles a year, that number has got to be really, really low - maybe in the negative numbers.

Do I only qualify for a fast car if I have a high average velocity? :sorrow:

Last edited:
Welcome to Audi ownership. I dipped my toe back in July 2019 with a MY17 S3 and still loving it today...it's going nowhere fast which is still a good phrase to use even though we're not currently in a COVID lockdown :s3addict:

Reactions: knot
Thanks for the welcome people!

I really enjoyed reading your diary, @Harvey. Aside from just being interesting it reminded me I should look at getting some rubber mats before the weather gets even nastier. I am loving the Audi but your passion for Vaxhaul is easy to see. The Vectra Super Touring 200 looks gorgeous. Gawd bless your wife for banging some sense into you.

Reactions: Harvey
S4 = 4.2V8 :yahoo:
anything is just nice but not that special, just my opinion.:yes:

Reactions: B7/RS4
S4 = 4.2V8 :yahoo:
anything is just nice but not that special, just my opinion.:yes:
I have got to be honest here. I'm not even remotely what you would consider a car person. Baring a very brief brush with an old (E12) M5 in my 20's I've just not ... been into motoring. It's been a utilitarian sort of venture. I've run the Civic for the last 6 years - my criteria at the time being: cheap, reliable, versatile and, well, cheap.

I suppose some of that was just pure pragmatism. Cars do seem to take some money and the better ones quite a lot of money and time. So, I'm 48 and late to the party. The B9 S4, inferior V6T that is it, just got me. The interior is just somewhere I like being. I now _want_ to do a supermarket run, I _want_ to visit my family, I mean yes I just want to go for a drive. That is a new sensation for me. But I can tell you this, now that I've actually had a taste ... I want a bit more - a lot more. I've got 12 months warranty on this thing and I'm already thinking about what the next one will be. The RS6 has my full attention. I have a 5 year goal.

My next steps for the S4 are:

- Paint correction and ceramic coating. There are a few little swirls (have to look *really* hard but once you notice, you notice) that I want buffed out and a ceramic coating which, if the marketing is real, should last 5 years as long as it's 'maintained'. I really love the wet-looking black of this beast - it fills me with a joy just looking at it before slipping into that plush interior
- spacers - let's present those rims!
- 20" summer rims. It currently has these very nice 19" V things which I think are perfect ... for the winter.
- speaker upgrade. I love techno and I can never play it loud enough at home. I can play it loud now but I want it richer, deeper (the stock sound system and sub are already glorious but let's not let adequate be the measure of all things).
- break pads/disks upgrade. Want something meaty for the next steps ...
- New downpipe/exhaust (Milltec?) - something that will make those stupid, wonderful, nonsensical and pointless but amazingly satisfying smile inducing popping and crackling noises (away from the neighbours of course - some bluetooth valve magic?)
- ABT remap. This will be after the 12 month warranty period. 1: I'm still flabbergasted by the power this beast puts down; 2: I really like the idea of that warranty
- Lowered? should I actually do this? Will I need to get the arches flared? god f*****g damn those speed bumps!

I aim to run in this config for about 5 years. Now, to get a (newish) RS6 2 things need to happen:
1) I have to move house because the universe we live in won't tolerate such a masterpiece sitting in the road over night in south Essex
2) I have to earn a great deal more money. Like, a lot more
3) I have had this car for exactly 1 week. There is a good chance my enthusiasm will peak and trail off and this is all just a load of ********. So yeah, there is always one more thing ;)

/remind me "did he get that RS6" in 5 years

Reactions: Harvey and OolongA7
Welcome and nice car choice. If your gonna do paint correction and ceramic coat get the front end protected with the plastic coat as I did, so long as your budget will let you. It’s been well worth it I’ve found.