Diesel smell while idling/not moving

chippieuk

Reaction score
Car is a 2010 Avant Quattro 2.0TDI 170. Have started to notice that when sat stationary at traffic lights etc that there is a slight smell of diesel coming into the car. It smells to me more like diesel than exhaust fumes.

Has anyone else encountered this, or have any suggestions of where to start looking to identify the problem?

Like all diesels, pull off the plastic cover in the engine bay and look at the injectors.

Also get yourself under the car and look at the exhaust clamp. If it's original then it will be on it's way out (actually surprised it's not broken yet). Consensus of opinion is to switch to Mikalor stainless steel clamp.

I've noticed this having just picked up a MY2014 SQ5 - going to get it checked out asap.

Like all diesels, pull off the plastic cover in the engine bay and look at the injectors.

Also get yourself under the car and look at the exhaust clamp. If it's original then it will be on it's way out (actually surprised it's not broken yet). Consensus of opinion is to switch to Mikalor stainless steel clamp.

Thanks, will take a look at the injectors at the weekend when I've got some time in the daylight! Will also have a look at the exhaust clamp, I don't imagine it will be the original, it's a 2010 car that's done over 250k miles, so I expect it's bee changed at some point!