Same Audi A3 and VW Tiguan Light Sensor - Why they Behave Differently?

fatyin

Reaction score
Because of a new family member, I have picked up a new VW Tiguan Allspace and just reluctantly sold my A3. I absolutely loved my A3 as I have done numerous DIYs and retrofits to my vehicle. It was still running very well with 94xxx km on it.

While I am excited to try out the new toy, I noticed the Rain Light Sensor of the new Tiguan being way too sensitive and less intelligent on determining whether I genuinely need the headlight to be turned on.

Behaviour of light sensor in A3 and Tiguan
Previously in my A3 (or maybe yours as well) whenever I drove under viaducts in a sunny day (sometimes in overcast day), the headlight stayed off. Also, when it was raining and the sky was bright enough, only the headlight and taillight came on to alert other drivers in poor visibility, the interior lights (the buttons) won’t turn on. I do appreciate the sophistication of the algorithm of my A3 in determining the genuine needs in changing weather conditions.

Nonetheless in my new Tiguan, the headlight and interior light just came on whenever I was under a viaduct even though it was a bright sunny midday with absolutely no cloud. I found it quite annoying as I don’t want to confuse other drivers that I am flashing my headlight to them or I am coming to a stop. The weather is yet permit me to test the light behaviour in rainy conditions, but I don’t have high hope in it.

Why the difference?
These behaviours have got me puzzled. I have set both vehicles to “late” in the light sensor setting. Both Audi and VW basically share the same parts. They have the same rain light sensors (from Hella?). They both have light sensor in the dashboard. The VW digital dash even have two at the bottom corners. A3 have only one in the middle of the physical tachometer. Although I have overlaid the auto dimming mirror with an aftermarket convex one, the light sensors in the mirror my new Tiguan should not play a part in here. The behaviour did not change even I remove the mirror overlaid to check. Why would a newer vehicle (about 6 years newer) tune the algorithm be more backwards?

The only explanation I came up was that my A3 was prone to HID light damage the rain light sensor asking it to switch on and off. Whereas my Tiguan’s headlight and taillight were fitted with LEDs, it just does not matter if it is switched on and off repeatedly. Is it possible that this behaviour is set to local environment by the dealer (I brought the Audi and VW from different local agent in Hong Kong)? What do you guys think?

VCDS Adaptations
As I am trying to revert the behaviour of my Tiguan to my old A3, I would appreciate it if you guys can share your autoscan of module 09 – central electronics to see which parameters were programmed differently. There are just too many adaptations that has “lux” as the unit of adaptation value. There are already 64 adaptations that has the wording “light sensor”, “search lighting”, and “RLS”. I figure that there are a lot more settings to deal with to tune the light sensor. A lot more studies needs to be done. I am also sharing mine for discussion.

Attachments

• adpmap-09-5Q0-937-084-DP_WVGZZZ5NZMM137337-20211214-1842.txt
    171.6 KB · Views: 81
You can't rely on same behaviour just because the light sensor part is identical, its a different car & the default values may be set for a tiguan to be different anyway than the late setting for the a3.

Its not that simple always, although it can follow the same setting & required result, but not exclusive in this behaviour.

That's right. Do you think referencing the settings for module 09 is the right direction to take to restore the behaviour of my previous car?