Strange Rattle sound when Car cold.

Chris S 1245

Reaction score
Hi as title suggests anyone experiencing this on their Rs3 ? Can hear a rattle sound don’t know if it’s from engine or exhaust when cars cold and in S at idle . Switching to D seems to make it disappear . Any ideas on what this could be ?

wastegate rattle from the turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi as title suggests anyone experiencing this on their Rs3 ? Can hear a rattle sound don’t know if it’s from engine or exhaust when cars cold and in S at idle . Switching to D seems to make it disappear . Any ideas on what this could be ?
After the 30 secs Catalyst warm up phase ?

Reactions: Chris S 1245
Yes when cars up to temperature can’t really hear it anymore .

Generally only hear the wastegate rattle low down in the 1500-2500 range and more on decatted/mapped cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally only hear the wastegate rattle low down in the 1500-2500 range and more on decatted/mapped cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah right mines standard nothing done to it . Only noticed it recently

Here is a video on my youtube channel from a friends audi rs3 8v2..does it sound something like this?

Audi RS3 8V2 Wastegate Rattle

Here is a video on my youtube channel from a friends audi rs3 8v2..does it sound something like this?

Audi RS3 8V2 Wastegate Rattle

Hard to tell mate like I said it’s when the Car is in S at idle on a cold start once up to temperature it’s not there anymore . I’ve only just noticed it recently so unsure if any others have experienced it . I will try to get a video up of it .

Reactions: Rommies
Hard to tell mate like I said it’s when the Car is in S at idle on a cold start once up to temperature it’s not there anymore . I’ve only just noticed it recently so unsure if any others have experienced it . I will try to get a video up of it .
Perhaps make a video...I'm quite interested to find the cause

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mine rattles on cold start until you switch drive mode, not sure if that is coincidental with the cat warmup cycle or not.

I'm used to strange mechanical noises at cold start having come from a slapper of a scooby :tearsofjoy: