Front broken spring replaced

Phil-1

Regional Rep
Reaction score
Website
www.philseagust.co.uk
I have recently had my front spring replaced after hitting a pot hole. I trust my local garage and they acknowledged that my car is an S-Line but it looks like it’s sitting a bit higher on this side now.
Will this settle as it’s only done 5 miles since being done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ideally I believe you should replace them in pairs. Presuming it is the correct spring it may settle over time.

The garage said as the car has only done 40K that it wouldn’t need a pair.
It’s not parked on the flat at the moment and it’s dark but I would say it’s 10mm higher

I agree with @abmat replace in pairs and let to settle for a while, should also replace the top mounts as they can cause lots of odd noises etc when they age ….

Reactions: Crash0090, Phil-1 and abmat
I'd replace it. It does not look correct, it might alter the handling/feel and you're definitely going to notice it every time and get annoyed.

Colin

Reactions: Phil-1
I'd replace it. It does not look correct, it might alter the handling/feel and you're definitely going to notice it every time and get annoyed.

Colin

I’m annoyed already. Going to go out in it over the weekend and find somewhere level and measure the difference. If it’s wrong I will suggest they replace it with a genuine pair.

You say you trust your garage - I think I would find a new one if they have only changed 1 spring no matter how many miles the car has done, I agree with everything everyone else has said, they should be changed in pairs, period.
18 months ago I had a rear spring break off at the mounting end (pothole??) on My 8P Quattro sport and had a devil of a job locating a PAIR of the correct springs everywhere, eventually tracked down the correct springs apparently Audi had fitted Seat springs to the sport to get the reduced ride height so you may need to do some searching, you might find your garage has just fitted a standard spring. Who'd have thought it Audi building parts bin specials!!!!!

Rear spring Spring removed good one
New spring fitted ........................................................................ Good spring removed

Last edited:
A bit of an update.

I have just been for a drive and put 20 miles on it. It might or might not make a difference.

Found a level car park and measured the best I can in the dark and it’s the same gap between the top of the tyre and wheel arch, so guess as my drive is not flat that was throwing it out. However I did notice some paint colours on the spring, White, Blue, Blue. Does anyone know of a chart that would confirm this?

Last edited:
Reactions: abmat
Another Update.

All sorted. Been back to the garage and they confirmed it was a genuine Audi spring they fitted. Also whilst there we measured the ride hight on a level floor and they are both the same. So I think I was getting a bit paranoid

Reactions: abmat