Anyone had faulty climate control button?

SteveF1

Solutions
Reaction score
This morning with near freezing conditions I put the cars climate control on to find the master/drivers side temp controller won't work. When I say it won't work it only works in one direction - down. It was at 21 degrees from the day before, when I tried to increase the temp the button clicks but the digital readout and corresponding air coming out of the vents fails to rise.

The physical button doesn't feel broken, clicks as normal and it does register temp reductions. The passenger side works fine and no matter what I do (turn ignition off, turn off sync etc) it won't work.

Any ideas how to fix as the temp on the drivers side is currently at 18 degrees and in this cold weather takes ages to demist and don't want to take to the dealer if I don't have to.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-184659_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-184659_Chrome~2.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
I had the exact same problem a few months ago. One day it would be ok the next it would not raise the temp. Everything felt fine with the button and at one point I thought it was a software issue. After a few days it put itself right and has been ok since (touch wood).
One thing to help you at the moment is that I used the voice control (hey Audi) to set the temp when I wanted the temp higher than its current setting.

Ah right, never thought about the voice commands - much appreciated!

I'll leave it a week, if it doesn't right itself I'll book it in. Thanks

No problem. Glad to help although it’s not a proper fix. Let me know how you get on. Another thing I did at the time which had mixed results was to hold the switch up. After a certain length of time the temp would start to go up and then be ok from then until the next time the car was started.

This morning with near freezing conditions I put the cars climate control on to find the master/drivers side temp controller won't work. When I say it won't work it only works in one direction - down. It was at 21 degrees from the day before, when I tried to increase the temp the button clicks but the digital readout and corresponding air coming out of the vents fails to rise.

The physical button doesn't feel broken, clicks as normal and it does register temp reductions. The passenger side works fine and no matter what I do (turn ignition off, turn off sync etc) it won't work.

Any ideas how to fix as the temp on the drivers side is currently at 18 degrees and in this cold weather takes ages to demist and don't want to take to the dealer if I don't have to.
I have the exact same issue. Early December freezing conditions I went to increase the drivers side temp and the button didnt work up only down. I’m pretty certain the day before it was working perfectly fine. Then when I tried pressing up but with a bit of pressure added the temperature changes like normal. Fast forward a month later and it is still the same hasn’t got any better. Due to the fact it works every time if I add an extra bit of pressure in my case it seems like it isn’t a software issue. Interested to see if yours resolves itself and what the dealer says if you do bring it in. I was planning on living with it till my next service.

Nearly a week after finding this issue the temp button still won't work. I've tried holding the button, pressing it harder to no avail. Thankfully the voice control is the only thing that works at increasing the temperature (thanks for the heads up!).

Car booked in for 26th, will report back when done.

Reactions: STmichael
Just an update...

My car has had this issue for around a month and no matter what I've done the 'up temp' just wouldn't work. It's been in to the dealer today and they've tried software updates/flashing to no avail - it's broken.

I've had to collect my car with the fault still present as they said there aren't any of these units in the UK and they are on back order from Germany so it could be a few weeks before they get one in.

I've had a look at the unit and can feel any screws underneath to allow this to be released - I hope they don't have to rip out the ****** dash to get to it!

Just an update...

My car has had this issue for around a month and no matter what I've done the 'up temp' just wouldn't work. It's been in to the dealer today and they've tried software updates/flashing to no avail - it's broken.

I've had to collect my car with the fault still present as they said there aren't any of these units in the UK and they are on back order from Germany so it could be a few weeks before they get one in.

I've had a look at the unit and can feel any screws underneath to allow this to be released - I hope they don't have to rip out the ****** dash to get to it!
Had the same issue after having my car for a week (Dec 20) Temp wouldn’t go above 16 Degs on driver side. Audi Had to order a replacement unit from Germany.
It took a few weeks to arrive and was in the workshop for a day, but it fixed the problem.
Still can’t believe that I only had the car a week before a major fault.

Had the same issue after having my car for a week (Dec 20) Temp wouldn’t go above 16 Degs on driver side. Audi Had to order a replacement unit from Germany.
It took a few weeks to arrive and was in the workshop for a day, but it fixed the problem.
Still can’t believe that I only had the car a week before a major fault.
My car went in this afternoon, work should be done by end of play tomorrow. Service rep said the front part of the dash all has to come out, I'm hoping they don't scratch the plastics and put it back properly so there isn't any rattles.

Did you have any rattles after the replacement?

My cars back from the dealer with a brand new AC control unit. The new one works perfectly and since having this unit I noticed that the original one also had another fault. When holding the temp buttons up or down they would go at such a slow pace that if I wanted to go move more than 5/6 degrees I'd be better frantically pressing the button rather than holding it. This is much better during button hold so I just think mines been a duff from the start and finally conked out before it had its first birthday.

No obvious scratches to dash trims and no signs of rattles either. In fact the silver plastic trim that runs horizontally under the screen actually flexes less now when pressed.

Reactions: MA3RC
My cars back from the dealer with a brand new AC control unit. The new one works perfectly and since having this unit I noticed that the original one also had another fault. When holding the temp buttons up or down they would go at such a slow pace that if I wanted to go move more than 5/6 degrees I'd be better frantically pressing the button rather than holding it. This is much better during button hold so I just think mines been a duff from the start and finally conked out before it had its first birthday.

No obvious scratches to dash trims and no signs of rattles either. In fact the silver plastic trim that runs horizontally under the screen actually flexes less now when pressed.
Glad you got it fixed with no issues. I'm having the same issues with my 2021 A3. Drivers side temp won't go back up on some days and other days it's fine.

I’ve just experienced this. -2 today. Typical. Wouldn’t go up to hi, stopped at 28 while left side said hi. Tried down and down it went but wouldn’t go back up. I eventually got it working by pressing up repeatedly quickly and now it’s ok. booked it in to Audi for next Tuesday.
Might have just been a fluke. Took a video of it to show Audi.

I’ve just experienced this. -2 today. Typical. Wouldn’t go up to hi, stopped at 28 while left side said hi. Tried down and down it went but wouldn’t go back up. I eventually got it working by pressing up repeatedly quickly and now it’s ok. booked it in to Audi for next Tuesday.
Might have just been a fluke. Took a video of it to show Audi.
Definitely need a replacement unit. I got mine booked in and they had the part on order as they didn’t have it in stock. Got a call 3 weeks later to bring it back in to replace. Been fine ever since.

Should the five switches that control heating/ventilation be illuminated? I always thought it odd that mine aren`t and seem to rely on light reflecting off the chrome parts of the switches to find them in the dark.

Should the five switches that control heating/ventilation be illuminated? I always thought it odd that mine aren`t and seem to rely on light reflecting off the chrome parts of the switches to find them in the dark.
No they're not lit up on the 8Y a little more penny pinching I'm afraid - The button corresponds to the display above it that's what they say - Heated Rear Screen and Front Screen fan light up

Reactions: AdamInKent
Ahh I was hoping the replacement ones had some lights or maybe even those glow paint from old school analogue alarm clocks. For me, I use the gap between the toggles to 'have an idea' where I'm pressing.

Mine was replaced on Thursday. Not bad, only a days wait. Working fine again.

Just searched and found this post as I’ve had the same problem of the drivers side temp button on my 2022 S3 would not increase the temperature, it reduced it but would not go up. Excellent comment about using voice, so thank you for that. Audi Edinburgh had a replacement in stock so replaced under warranty, actually great service by them, very efficient.

My previous S3 did this too, I pressed the button up a little harder and it was fine after that odd how it seems to be the same button on all these cars though!

I have the exact same issue - the button clicks okay but temperature does no go up. The problem first occurred last year about the same time (mid May 2022) and miraculously got fixed before Audi rep came to pick up the car. It was all fine until now. My theory is the button has a mechanical/electrical fault that gets triggered with high temperature + moisture. I will take a video this time to prove it is an actual problem. Kudos on the voice command - that will help in the meantime. These new Audi A3s have so many problems. The MMI reset issues were the last one I got fixed that took the car out of action for 4 working days. What a shame!

This happened to me yesterday for the first time. Exact same, driver's temp button wouldn't increase temp.
Fixed by turning ignition off and on again!
(21 S3)

This happened to me yesterday for the first time. Exact same, driver's temp button wouldn't increase temp.
Fixed by turning ignition off and on again!
(21 S3)
I had the same thing Friday, tried off then on, didn't fix it, read the above comments and did a long hard push, and it started working again, been working since, but am just waiting for the next time it stops working. Hopefully before December 15th as my warranty runs out then.
2020 S3.

Tried the voice command work-around today, but didn’t work.
Car responded with “climate control system unavailable “.

is this further proof of a broken climate control?

Tried the voice command work-around today, but didn’t work.
Car responded with “climate control system unavailable “.

is this further proof of a broken climate control?
Mine gave exactly the same message the first time I tried to use the voice command, but when I tried the next day it worked perfectly, so could need a power cycle, try again tomorrow.

This is the response from the Dealer:
"the A3 doesn’t feature voice control for the climate control functionality" !!!!!

This is the response from the Dealer:
"the A3 doesn’t feature voice control for the climate control functionality" !!!!!
Brilliant - Good to see that they know their product or not - Mine changed with voice control

IIRC there are two levels of voice control. A basic, default, voice control system and a more advanced system that has to be enabled (at no extra cost, but you need to give it permission to send your voice data to Audi’s servers). The more advanced version definitely allows voice control of the climate controls. It might be that the basic version does not?

Brilliant - Good to see that they know their product or not - Mine changed with voice control
It's a new variation on "they all do that sir, it's just the way the car is"
Makes you wonder what else dealers don't know about!

I pointed out that I had actually used the feature in my own car!

IIRC there are two levels of voice control. A basic, default, voice control system and a more advanced system that has to be enabled (at no extra cost, but you need to give it permission to send your voice data to Audi’s servers). The more advanced version definitely allows voice control of the climate controls. It might be that the basic version does not?
Mine works intermittently (permission has been set up). I watched your youtube video, tried it out and it all worked. After about 8 various climate related commands (all working perfectly), I got the "climate control system unavailable" reply. Which does seem to indicate that it understood my request, ie temperature related etc, but just couldn't communicate with the AC module.
Random gremlins again.

Oddly, the temperature increase button DID work ok, so the two issues may not be linked causally. Who knows?

Reactions: AdamInKent
Just posting here for anyone else who experiences this issue. I took a video of this exact issue when it occurred on my climate control panel, and booked it into our Local Audi Dealership.

Thankfully, they replaced the climate control panel there and then, which surprised me. I did ask them if this was a common issue given that they had a replacement climate control panel in stock and ready to go. They wouldn't admit this but the fact they had a replacement part readily available would suggest it is. I'd say if your car is still under warranty then get a video of it happening and get it booked in - they should replace it.