A4 B7 2.0TDI starting problem!

Jack96

Reaction score
I have a 2007 audi a4 2.0tdi140,
The battery died a couple of weeks ago and when I went to start it after charging the battery it cranks over for ages but won't start. Sounds like there is no fuel and I can't hear the pump priming.
The scan came back with no faults, I've checked and there is power to the fuel pump and fuel pump fuse, I swapped it out for another pump unit and there is still no priming.

Any ideas what to look at next?

I have a 2007 audi a4 2.0tdi140,
The battery died a couple of weeks ago and when I went to start it after charging the battery it cranks over for ages but won't start. Sounds like there is no fuel and I can't hear the pump priming.
The scan came back with no faults, I've checked and there is power to the fuel pump and fuel pump fuse, I swapped it out for another pump unit and there is still no priming.

Any ideas what to look at next?

Is there 12 volts coming through the pump connector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could be air in the lines. Also definitely check the fuel filter.

Can't remember exactly what it was but it was under 12v with the battery connected with it being a bit weak, tried starting it from my jump box though and it was still just cranking

Can't remember exactly what it was but it was under 12v with the battery connected with it being a bit weak, tried starting it from my jump box though and it was still just cranking

Ok there like I said check fuel filter. I know they can be a real problem on these. I tried a jump box on mine and it couldn’t start it. They have to be powerful ones to start Diesel engines.

Could be air in the lines. Also definitely

Ok there like I said check fuel filter. I know they can be a real problem on these. I tried a jump box on mine and it couldn’t start it. They have to be powerful ones to start Diesel engines.

Okay cheers I'll check that next, do they normally get blocked? Any way to check them or just replace and see what happens? Think it was only changed 6 months ago

Okay cheers I'll check that next, do they normally get blocked? Any way to check them or just replace and see what happens? Think it was only changed 6 months ago

So I had this exact same problem a while ago. I would take the fuel line off that comes from the actual pump then turn the ignition on so the pump primes and see if you get anything through. If yes I would def change the filter next. How long did you crank it for?

So I had this exact same problem a while ago. I would take the fuel line off that comes from the actual pump then turn the ignition on so the pump primes and see if you get anything through. If yes I would def change the filter next. How long did you crank it for?

That's definitely next on my list then, and the longest was probably around 10 seconds, then countless other times hoping something had magically fixed it for me haha

As above, remove line to fuel filter from lift pump, see if it pressures up with ignition on, if so then reconnect & check lines post filter for fuel supply.

Checked pump with a 12v supply and it is working however the ignition key will not power on the lift pump, getting fuel past the filter but I tried to start it with the 12v power supply on the lift pump but still no joy