2.0 tdi Glow plug Change now Noise

Charlie23

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, hope somone can help me out here.
been getting Cyl No 2 Glow plug open circuit fault for a few weeks so yesterday decided to change the glow plugs. Changed out all 4 for Bosch plugs checked and all the same length etc, fitted no probs. Went to start the car and it wouldn’t start. Just turning over like as if the battery was flat. Put a jump pack on it still nothing, gave a few wires a wiggle still nothing left it for 5 mins and it started no probs. On start up had some smoke but probs from me turning it over.
Car drives fine no EMl light but now I have a very loud ticking noise coming from the top of the engine like it’s in the rocker cover which when cold is a lot louder than when it’s warmed up.? Any advise on what it could be as I wish I had just left it and kept turning the eml light off every week. Only way I can describe it is it sounds like a 2.2 transit van that done 500k haha.
Cheers

Hi guys and gals, hope somone can help me out here.
been getting Cyl No 2 Glow plug open circuit fault for a few weeks so yesterday decided to change the glow plugs. Changed out all 4 for Bosch plugs checked and all the same length etc, fitted no probs. Went to start the car and it wouldn’t start. Just turning over like as if the battery was flat. Put a jump pack on it still nothing, gave a few wires a wiggle still nothing left it for 5 mins and it started no probs. On start up had some smoke but probs from me turning it over.
Car drives fine no EMl light but now I have a very loud ticking noise coming from the top of the engine like it’s in the rocker cover which when cold is a lot louder than when it’s warmed up.? Any advise on what it could be as I wish I had just left it and kept turning the eml light off every week. Only way I can describe it is it sounds like a 2.2 transit van that done 500k haha.
Cheers
Put original back .. clearly wrong ones or cheap ebay ones..

They are genuine Bosch bought from my local motor factors, but you reckon changing them back could help the problem?

Did you torque them properly.

Did you refix any trims, metal parts back in place tightly, any bolts removed that were forgotten to be refitted, missing any tools, if cars runs fine, it has be one of these things tbh as glow plugs dont do much except heat cylinders on cold starts, no moving parts at all.

Did you torque them properly.

Did you refix any trims, metal parts back in place tightly, any bolts removed that were forgotten to be refitted, missing any tools, if cars runs fine, it has be one of these things tbh as glow plugs dont do much except heat cylinders on cold starts, no moving parts at all.
Thanks for the reply but nothing was removed bar the engine cover as the plugs are smack bang infront of you. I didn’t bit torque then down no, I done them up and then nipped them tight?

So the old ones still had there ends on them, no missing tools?

Kinda worrying now lol.

Engine cover has all the bushes intact to counter vibration, as the 8P was synonymous for bushes coming of when removing covers.

The only thing I can think of if nothing externally is astray, is that the plugs are a bit too long and are being hit by the pistons.

Reactions: NHN
That's a good shout, maybe they weren't exactly correct for his car, east way to tell, pop them out, measure or refit old ones & see of it goes away, of course bottom of the plugs would hopefully show signs too, however only one way forward.

Hi guys thanks for the help, took them all out and checked all the same size, cleaned all the holes out incase they didn’t seat properly and all ok, sounds like it’s coming from the back on the engine as stand infront of the car you can’t hear it, stand by the drivers door you can??? Very strange