Headlight lens removal A3?

Clach

A3 - 1.8Ts
Reaction score
Hi folks,Recently got a replacementlens for my cracked headlight.How do I remove the headlight lens? I read somewhere that the lens was glued together with the actual headlight and could not be removed!!?Hope not, but I do not want to try and pull it off if it can not be removed!!Help please!?Craig

It's an unbelievable pain in the **** involving partial removal of the front bumper

just read this from an earlier discussion, a glimmer of hope perhaps?"On my pre-facelift you don't. Remove the indicator, unbolt the headlamp, unclip the lens. Might be harder on a facelift car though"Anybody else, and thanks for quick replay andymac...Craig

No mine was a 2000 pre-facelift. They aren't glued on just a pig to get out and a pig to put back in. There is a bolt (or bolts) underneath the top lip of the bumper, which you can only get to by releasing the bumper on one side and pulling it away slightly. Quite unbelievable even for Audi.

Your correct about the pre-face lift lights... just done mine about a week ago. You dont have too take the bumper off at all. Basically above the indicator is a small hole in the chasis... and under there is the clip for the indicators... use a philps screw driver too turn the clip... then remove indicator... your are then able too access the third hidden bolt holding the light in place. The light will then slide out and the lense can be unclipped. Fairly easy job... took me less than an hour 2 replace the broken glass... and upgrade all the bulbs while I was at it. The one headlight does need to be re-aligned now though which will be done at a garage.

The indicator unit came out no problem, thus giving me confidence that i can remove the headlight lens with similar ease....

Game on!

bouncer--daz said:
Your correct about the pre-face lift lights... just done mine about a week ago. You dont have too take the bumper off at all. Basically above the indicator is a small hole in the chasis... and under there is the clip for the indicators... use a philps screw driver too turn the clip... then remove indicator... your are then able too access the third hidden bolt holding the light in place. The light will then slide out and the lense can be unclipped. Fairly easy job... took me less than an hour 2 replace the broken glass... and upgrade all the bulbs while I was at it. The one headlight does need to be re-aligned now though which will be done at a garage.

Doh! Where were you when I did mine???? I had to struggle and do it the hard way.

AndyMac said:
Doh! Where were you when I did mine???? I had to struggle and do it the hard way.

I actually did a couple of thread searches first but everything came up about saying too remove the bumper... which I thought was abit extreme for a headlight. I did pick up about un clipping the indicator and then worked it out myself from there. Only slight issue I have now is the main beam needs to be adjusted as its not level both sides.... does anyone know how to do this? It doesnt make any difference really its just something thats annoying the hell out of :banghead: me.

Bouncer, to build my confidence a wee bit more what tools do I need to undo the headlight and where are all three bolts located...soz if you have said this already...

Craig
Ps I remember rightly somebody mentioned that the two white screws on top of the headlight can adjust the level of the nights????

just too note mines a Pre Facelift... I will pop out and take some photos now... just to show ya:icon_thumright:

Magic mate...

My A3 is also a pre-facelift

Cheers again for the effort...

Clach :beerchug:

DSC00208.jpg

Right simple guide

1/ use a large philps screw driver down through this hole too turn the white clip that releases the indicator. Use a flat bladed screw driver and a piece of cloth too protect the body work then persuade the indicator out.
2,3,4/ With the indicator out you will then see the third bolt. These are torx bolts... whip those 3 out and the headlight with then slide out.

Easy job,

Thanx for the advice on the white adjusters... will re align the headlight later

Magic mate....

Will try this in the morning..

Best, Clach