S4 oil separation module

Spearo

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the S4 oil separator module? Changing the air filter on the weekend I spotted a little oil in the semi rigid tube going to the filter. It’s not much but it’s got me wondering if the oil separator is functioning properly.
Before I whip it off I’m guessing there is a gasket between it and the crankcase, can anyone confirm this for me ?
has anyone else played with this unit and spotted oil in intake pipes ?
Any insight would be much appreciated
Cheers
Ben

It wouldn't be too surprising if there was some oil, the crankcase breather feeds back to the intake pipe. So you would expect some oily residue to build up and turn into liquid. As long as its not too excessive, you're not using too much oil I wouldn't worry about it.

Resurrecting this as I’ve noticed a reasonably strong oil smell coming from the air intake pipe when the engine is hot. I took the filter housing off and had a look down the pipe. There is a slight misting of oil as you would expect but I’m starting to wonder if either the separator module of the one way valve in the connecting pipe work is functioning normally. I don’t recall an oily smell from my last S4 hence suspicion this isn’t normal. @Spearo did you investigate any further?

Yeah I fixed it - replaced the breather pipe the one with the valve in it. Cost about 60quid and fixed the problem! My car is a 2017 car and the pipe was brittle !!! I wouldn’t think about cleaning it…. Just replace! The oil separator module isn’t very sophisticated- I swapped out the gasket after I’d had it off just to be sure there wasn’t a future oil leak. That pcv pipe is definitely the culprit though!!!

Breather

Thanks @Spearo , so this whole assembly here? Is that part number 06M 103 210CT?

Edit - also - does yours have a cap on the pipe circled in red? Mine just seems open to atmosphere - but looking at the repair guide and other pictures online it shows the outlet as having a cap on it. I believe in North America there is a different emissions system in use and there is a full pipe attached. In Europe its not used / capped off. If it is supposed to have a cap - can't be good its missing!

Attachments

• Breather.JPG
    Breather.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I’ll check the part number when I get home from work! Yeah you get everything marked green with the part. The red cap bit you circled …. So my stock pipework on the car has the cap on it! The replacement pipe assembly didn’t have the cap so I went to swap my original one onto the new pipe work however the replacement pipe set was all blanked off already (moulded in). I still swapped the cap even though there was need!

I’ll check the part number when I get home from work! Yeah you get everything marked green with the part. The red cap bit you circled …. So my stock pipework on the car has the cap on it! The replacement pipe assembly didn’t have the cap so I went to swap my original one onto the new pipe work however the replacement pipe set was all blanked off already (moulded in). I still swapped the cap even though there was need!

Many thanks, I've actually ordered the part from Crewe Audi on here so no need to dig out the PN.

OK - maybe I've already got a 'newer' part that is blanked off internally - it looks to be open but maybe if I have a closer look its actually closed.

For info and anyone that stumbles across this in the future. I don't have oil leaking through the fill cap - just a strong smell of oil around the intake. Also be wary as North American cars have a slightly different breather system (more complex than Europe) so part numbers might not be interchangeable.

Reactions: WesT-gefül