3.0 tfsi struggles to start and tapping noise.

JoeF2021

Reaction score
My S4 struggled start this morning. I have owned the car since new and have had no issues with the engine previously in that time. The car started and seemed to drive home fine earlier in the week but this morning it took around 4 attempts on the start button and when started would only run without stalling whilst I kept my foot on the throttle for the first 30 seconds or so. Once it did start it seems to have a tapping noise coming from the left side of the engine.

My initial thoughts are it is likely to either be the coil packs/spark plugs? I doubt it is the chain since unless it had gone out of time I don't see why that would have make the car rough to start.
The car is on around 67,000 miles and has always been well looked after. Link to video with sound.

If it's struggling to start and no codes I would check the battery. When was it last replaced? Have you used a smart battery charger? The engine sounds pretty normal the tapping is the tensioner(s) at the back of the engine. I would expect there would be a code pop up if something was not working.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk