A3 30 tfsi mpg

Thebrezzer

Reaction score
I've had an A3 30 tfsi for a few months now and have noticed the MPG seems low for a car with such a small engine, I'm getting 45mpg on a 'normal' daily commute - 20 mile trip, dual carriage way, 60mph top speed. £20 fill up gets about a 120 mile range. We previously had a 1.0l Focus Ecoboost and this was achieving around 58mpg. Any others with this engine see low mpg?

I've had an A3 30 tfsi for a few months now and have noticed the MPG seems low for a car with such a small engine, I'm getting 45mpg on a 'normal' daily commute - 20 mile trip, dual carriage way, 60mph top speed. £20 fill up gets about a 120 mile range. We previously had a 1.0l Focus Ecoboost and this was achieving around 58mpg. Any others with this engine see low mpg?
The Whatcar website implies they should be very similar, possibly with 1 or 2 mpg better results on your Focus.
I can only comment on my 1.5 35tfsi engine that would appear to be returning better figures than your 1.0 30tfsi. This would not be unusual as with 18K on the clock mine seems to still be getting better. and your engine is still young Your engine also has to work harder to pull around the same mass of car.
My best so far was the computer showing 73mpg when I pulled off the M6 on a run from Devon to Merseyside in heavy speed restricted traffic. It was actually between 69 and 70 mpg when I re-brimmed the tank.
48/52 mpg is my norm in light non rush hour traffic. Last year I averaged 43mpg over 6.5K miles of which 1/2 wast towing a 1200kg caravan.

Colin

Had my 1.0tfsi for 3 years. I would say I average 40MPG overall. 70MPH sustained Mway journey returns 50mpg, town driving/short journeys mid 30's. Im seeing about 5-10% loss due to E10 fuel. Mixed driving on full tank now gets about 400 miles max.

You need to realise that these MPG are garbage fraud claims.
They test these vehicles without rear back seats, passenger seat gone, spare tyre gone and the side mirrors flipped in.

I would take the MPG with the pinch of salt, and maybe reduce it by 5mpg

Looking back over three years of ownership I have noted up to a 10% higher fuel consumption when towing, but solo I cannot detect any significant increase.

Colin

I don’t have this engine but wouldn’t be surprised at a ~5% drop in MPG due to E10 and a ~5% drop due to lower temps in winter.

The new engine bedding is also a factor.

865fd82386c94b9b23f9ff1b5426b5ac.jpg

357 mile steady run at 70 on cruise
51 indicated MPG. Not bad for a petrol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk