Audi A3 8V 150PS Diesel Remap Issue

Faisalkhan99

Reaction score
So I’m a Audi fan boy and purchased a 8V A3 2.0 Diesel 2015 after selling my beloved 8P after owning it for 4 years

The 8V has been brilliant have done a lot of minor mods exterior wise Roof rails Etc

The first mechanical mod I did was remove the DPF and get the car mapped. I don’t know exact figures but it’s somewhere in the region of 190-195BHP now factory 150BHP

I have been having my fun with it and testing the power and have noticed recently that when I post my foot down on the car is 3rd and 4th gear the clutch seems to be slipping or that’s what I’m assuming, the clutch and flywheel is fine no knocking and clutch is spot on otherwise

just need some advice on what it could be as it’s been like 2 months since the remap and seems like 3rd and 4th gear is slipping the clutch when accelerating hard

Not to state the obvious but it sounds likely that the clutch is slipping.

If you're putting your foot down in gear and the revs go up but the car doesn't speed up, it sounds very clutch related.

How many miles has the car done?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Faisalkhan99 and NHN
Not to state the obvious but it sounds likely that the clutch is slipping.

If you're putting your foot down in gear and the revs go up but the car doesn't speed up, it sounds very clutch related.

How many miles has the car done?

Clutch was fine before the remap and it doesn’t always do it I don’t know it the map has affected the clutch ?
The car is on 130k Miles at the moment

Ask them to tether of the map or you'll have a nice bill.

Reactions: Faisalkhan99
The map will be putting more torque through the clutch, therefore putting it under more strain.

The clutch may have been fine before but it's the way with maps that they cause parts to fail quicker.

Happened to a friends Cupra, literally 2 weeks after he had it mapped the clutch started to go.

Reactions: Faisalkhan99
The map will be putting more torque through the clutch, therefore putting it under more strain.

The clutch may have been fine before but it's the way with maps that they cause parts to fail quicker.

Happened to a friends Cupra, literally 2 weeks after he had it mapped the clutch started to go.

Ohh okay that’s fine I get what you mean I guess either get the torque tuned down a bit or get a new clutch fitted ?

Ohh okay that’s fine I get what you mean I guess either get the torque tuned down a bit or get a new clutch fitted ?
Yeah as NHN said, get the map tuned down or part with some money for a new clutch.

If you're going to go down the route of getting the map tuned down, would be advisable to do it sooner rather than later as the clutch is only going to get worse with the current map.

I imagine this was a cheap £200 Facebook style remap?

You'll need to see a rolling road graph to see exactly what's happening, it's unlikely the map 'can be tuned down' if its an off the shelf one, it would require more cost and time on the rollers than just installing a tried and tested map from a trusted mapper etc.

Your clutch is now gone though tbh, so start saving. Even removing the map entirely may give you say another six months on the current clutch, but it won't last forever.

130K is high mileage for not expecting some drama from a remap especially clutch related.

Took the very words out of my mouth, check the map curve so to speak, probably revo style full on boost no prisoners lol.

Reactions: Faisalkhan99 and Dubjam
Took the very words out of my mouth, check the map curve so to speak, probably revo style full on boost no prisoners lol.

I can literally picture his graph in my mind...like an iceberg...so when the Facebook remapper after uploading the bit of code he has no real idea about, says go for a drive, it provides all the squeals and giggles...

I imagine this was a cheap £200 Facebook style remap?

You'll need to see a rolling road graph to see exactly what's happening, it's unlikely the map 'can be tuned down' if its an off the shelf one, it would require more cost and time on the rollers than just installing a tried and tested map from a trusted mapper etc.

Your clutch is now gone though tbh, so start saving. Even removing the map entirely may give you say another six months on the current clutch, but it won't last forever.

130K is high mileage for not expecting some drama from a remap especially clutch related.
I love my car too much to get the £200 Facebook remap I know what you mean though I’m going back to the company and seeing if the map can be adjusted and put in a new clutch too

I love my car too much to get the £200 Facebook remap I know what you mean though I’m going back to the company and seeing if the map can be adjusted and put in a new clutch too
Who was the map from?

Need dyno print out to see exact torque output and if there is an undesirable torque spike.

130K is a worn clutch , replace anyway as higher torque figure regardless , sadly expensive as DMF too .

DPF removal does promote higher torque values than just a simple Stage 1 .

Don't waste your money on dyno runs to fiddle with the tune. Audi stopped selling manual 184s, probably because of their poor clutches that weren't up to handling the torque.
A decent map on a 150 will give a 30%+ torque gain, probably more with the filter out and considerably more torque than the stock 184 produced.
Your best solution is to buy an uprated clutch and at 130k your flywheel will be shot as well.

As per replies above it's a new (possibly uprated) clutch job. The same problem exists on some manual S3s whether even with the car stock the clutches were doing that typically around 20 - 30k miles but sometimes sooner. Don't bother getting the map tweaked your clutch is already failing.

Personally, I would also start putting some money by for a replacement turbo (new or reconditioned) assuming its the original one still in there. They have a limited lifespan too, and you are now putting a heap more strain on one that's already done a lot of miles.