Fuel temp sensor

enc

Reaction score
Engine management light is on. Ran a scan which points to the fuel temp sensor. Sure enough, the cable is broken close to where it enters the connector plug.
with about 3mm, remaining on one end it looks unlikely I’ll be able to get a wire soldered to it. Is there a work around for this ? Are these connector plugs replaceable?

Attachments

• 3BCCDB23-DEA0-444D-B87B-7B1D7E833135.jpeg
    3BCCDB23-DEA0-444D-B87B-7B1D7E833135.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 248
Most connectors you can remove the pins from the housing. and there are some special pin removal tools for that.
Usually there also be some locking mechanism to prevent the pins to be removed. It depends.

Could be a 000979019 pin, repair wire, can be repaired.

Well I managed to track down a replacement connector … well at least the part numbers match up.
I’ll let you know how it pans out.
common fault apparently.
for future reference here’s the part I ordered.

Reactions: ahtcap
You dont need a new connector, waste of money, just the pin ends or wires.

I can probably send you some wires for a small fee.

Agree with @NHN
And if you see the pictures from the ebay item, those connectors have a sliding lock. (red in this picture).
You remove this lock, and then you can easily remove the pins to replace with a thin screw driver of some long needle.

Reactions: NHN
ill leave these pics for future searches...

lHDHBCt.jpg

scan with VCDS fault code is 16567. Google search would suggest this is becoming a common fault as the BKD's are now aging.

zZDK8On.jpg

With the plastic engine cover removed, both the sensor and connector ar easily accessible on the right-hand side between the egr outlet and air box.
There's very little free play in the original wires no doubt contributing to their failure. The new wires i joined to the old with a soldering iron. there's now a bit of free play and they're nolonger taut.

YPz7eYd.jpg

wire broken

iwP64E1.jpg

New connector... fiver from ebay

8APvEAu.jpg

new connector (correct part number)

JIw60qI.jpg

toolage

JyB0MDj.jpg

stripped ready for soldering to new wires

Grm08J1.jpg

soldered and heat shrink

6PSgKGW.jpg

wire temporary covered with insulation tape. will tidy next week when i do service.

Last edited: