Centre console grab handles repair

A32009

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m new here so please forgive me if I’m breaking any rules, the only thread I could find was from 2013 so I assume that that’s very dead at this stage.

I’ve an 2009 8P1 and the centre console grab handles are scuffed and scratched and I’m wondering what could I do to make them look better.

I’ve ordered ones from a scrap yard but I’m concerned that they might be just as bad as the ones I already have.

I could send the ones I have away for repair but I’m not sure where would I even send them to here in the Republic of Ireland.
The other (cheaper) option is to spray them with some sort of rubber coating like plastidip over in the US.

Has anyone here tried spraying them with a rubber coating? How did you get on? Did the coating come off as soon as you touched the handles? Or have anyone used some other method to rejuvenate those handles?

The ones In my 17 year old 3 door are near mint. Not sure how peeps manage to scratch them ..maybe throwing stuff into the central cubby hole? .. I digress, I dare say plasticote would work but without care, it would scratch as easy as the original coating. How about wrapping them with vinyl?

Not sure how peeps manage to scratch them

So my radio had an issue where it would randomly make a pop noise and turn off. I brought it back to the garage I bought it from and when they took out the radio, they must have placed it on those centre grab handles because it came back all scuffed and ruined

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t you just hate when **** like this happens.

Reactions: A32009
I know. Lovely car ruined by that. I wonder how well the plasti dip would hold? I’m half tempted to experiment to see how well I get on.

I know. Lovely car ruined by that. I wonder how well the plasti dip would hold? I’m half tempted to experiment to see how well I get on.

Nothing to loose have you? Never used it myself but I know if applied properly and carefully looked after it should last as well as the original coating. You could experiment with the The set you bought from the scrapper. Does you car have leather or alcantara? Maybe get them covered to match?

I would love to have leather trim but I just have a normal setup. I don’t want to modify the car too much either, keep as close to stock as possible so if I ever sell it (I don’t think I will. It’s my first car and I want to keep it until it becomes uneconomical to maintain.)

Reactions: enc
Will do once I’ve her washed and bathed and looking well

Sand it flat, then whack some satin paint on them, lite coat of lacquer, that'll sort them out.

I know what they've done, hence why I always put a cloth over that area when removing radios etc.

Get them hydrodipped
2537d823d26f2e0fee937c2ba3902e3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Get them hydrodipped
2537d823d26f2e0fee937c2ba3902e3b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Looks way better than scratched but I would love to keep it rubbery as I rest my knee there on the motorway when on cruise control. I'll see how the scrap yard ones fares, might be better than the ones I currently have.

Last edited:
The ones from the scrap yard arrived today and they look way better than the current ones. They’re not perfect but still better than what I have

Reactions: ch1z64