S-Tronic clutch slip?

Jamesc14lnk

Reaction score
Hi all,

just wondering if someone can help as I’ve searched and can’t find anything.
I have a 2012 A6 3.0TDI Avant with 100k on the clock. As soon as the car changes gear say from 2nd to 3rd, the revs seem to increase for a second then drop back down to where it should be. It feels like clutch slip maybe? Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Thanks

Does sound that way, however, is the box serviceable & if so, when was it last done out of interest.

Does sound that way, however, is the box serviceable & if so, when was it last done out of interest.
I have been told that it was serviced about 1000 miles ago although I will be this done for piece of mind. I was also thinking it could have had a gearbox map that wasn’t done right?
Thanks

I would try resetting/calibration of the box and a service before pulling it apart as that’s expensive.
I’ve seen taxis/private hire cars with 200k+ With dsg boxes and no issues.

I have been told that it was serviced about 1000 miles ago although I will be this done for piece of mind. I was also thinking it could have had a gearbox map that wasn’t done right?
Thanks
If it’s the same as the facelift the box can handle 500nm of torque and that’s what it comes out the factory with. If engine has been mapped and gearbox hasn’t it could cause problems as any remaps or chips will bump it up well beyond the 500nm

I would try resetting/calibration of the box and a service before pulling it apart as that’s expensive.
I’ve seen taxis/private hire cars with 200k+ With dsg boxes and no issues.
Cheers, I’ll try a service and gearbox reset before looking into changing clutches or mechatronics

Last edited:
I have the same car, same year, had it since it was a year old, and what you describe is surely normal behaviour for this type of box? A bit like the old Daf drive which worked on belts and conical cogs, revs go up and down as the load changes within each gear. My car has always done it, runs beautifully, lovely car.

I have the same car, same year, had it since it was a year old, and what you describe is surely normal behaviour for this type of box? A bit like the old Daf drive which worked on belts and conical cogs, revs go up and down as the load changes within each gear. My car has always done it, runs beautifully, lovely car.
I have read that too elsewhere to be honest. It’s doing exactly the same as this video.

I’ll be over the moon if this is normal. I had a 2014 A7 but the 272ps version with the Stronic box and it never did it so just thought it was something going wrong.

Hi all,

just wondering if someone can help as I’ve searched and can’t find anything.
I have a 2012 A6 3.0TDI Avant with 100k on the clock. As soon as the car changes gear say from 2nd to 3rd, the revs seem to increase for a second then drop back down to where it should be. It feels like clutch slip maybe? Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Thanks

You don’t say if your car is a Quattro or not. If it is front wheel drive only then you have the multitronic cvt transmission not s-tronic and therefore you will experience changes in revs that are not consistent with road speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t say if your car is a Quattro or not. If it is front wheel drive only then you have the multitronic cvt transmission not s-tronic and therefore you will experience changes in revs that are not consistent with road speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there.
It is a Quattro hence why I know it’s the S-tronic box.
still unsure as to whether it’s normal but I’ll get the box serviced and reset and see if that changes anything. When in sport mode and I floor it, it doesn’t seem to do it at higher revs. It might be me thinking into it but my precious A7 with an S-tronic box didn’t behave the same

Hi there.
It is a Quattro hence why I know it’s the S-tronic box.
still unsure as to whether it’s normal but I’ll get the box serviced and reset and see if that changes anything. When in sport mode and I floor it, it doesn’t seem to do it at higher revs. It might be me thinking into it but my precious A7 with an S-tronic box didn’t behave the same

I had a 272 a6 which I did 60k+ and it didn’t do that. As far as I know it’s the same box as the older 245.
could be just a recalibration or dirty oil as these have wet clutches. Other than that that’s when things get expensive, mechatronics, clutch packs etc.
is there a way you can check if there’s a software update available for your car? I remember my 272 had loads of software updates for engine, gearbox, MMI etc.

I had a 272 a6 which I did 60k+ and it didn’t do that. As far as I know it’s the same box as the older 245.
could be just a recalibration or dirty oil as these have wet clutches. Other than that that’s when things get expensive, mechatronics, clutch packs etc.
is there a way you can check if there’s a software update available for your car? I remember my 272 had loads of software updates for engine, gearbox, MMI etc.
I’ll also check for updates too, cheers!