S3 Replacement tailgate boot trunk gas struts

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just went to visit the S3 and treat it to some new boot struts only to find they don’t fit perfectly. So, now I’m wondering where people have obtained replacement boot struts from in the past for theirs?

My boot struts have been long overdue for replacement and I ordered a set from SGS Engineering for the 8L. I just fitted them and they extend slightly too far. They fit fine, but the boot lid now opens higher (or further up than before) and the boot spoiler fouls the aerial. Spoiler and aerial are totally original/standard. I have contacted SGS to arrange for a return/refund.

Before:

After:

In the meantime my local Audi dealer has said the original struts for the A3/S3 (8D9827552H) are no longer made. Typical.

I found the following online which match the part number. Has anyone fitted or used these before? Is it possible to have the original struts reconditioned? I don’t even know if that’s possible but just a thought.

Reactions: MPH
Last edited:
| also bought some off ebay back in 2018 and they're still spot on...

Hi all,

I just went to visit the S3 and treat it to some new boot struts only to find they don’t fit perfectly. So, now I’m wondering where people have obtained replacement boot struts from in the past for theirs?

My boot struts have been long overdue for replacement and I ordered a set from SGS Engineering for the 8L. I just fitted them and they extend slightly too far. They fit fine, but the boot lid now opens higher (or further up than before) and the boot spoiler fouls the aerial. Spoiler and aerial are totally original/standard. I have contacted SGS to arrange for a return/refund.

Before:

After:

In the meantime my local Audi dealer has said the original struts for the A3/S3 (8D9827552H) are no longer made. Typical.

I found the following online which match the part number. Has anyone fitted or used these before? Is it possible to have the original struts reconditioned? I don’t even know if that’s possible but just a thought.

What is the N measurement of the SGS ones?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Before:

After:

The one's in the last pic look good to me part number ending in H rather than F or G.

The one's in the last pic look good to me part number ending in H rather than F or G.

They’re the originals in that pic that’s why ;-)

If I put one SGS strut with one old strut, I get slightly better lifting, and the other strut stops the boot opening too far, so that could be a winning combo.

I might try those others from strutsdepot.com. They advertise hassle-free returns also. If that’s the case then maybe I’ll just keep the originals on. They still work and hold the boot up, but they’re definitely weaker than a brand new pair.

Thanks for the advice chaps, will let you know how I get on. :thumbs up:

They’re the originals in that pic that’s why ;-)

If I put one SGS strut with one old strut, I get slightly better lifting, and the other strut stops the boot opening too far, so that could be a winning combo.

I might try those others from strutsdepot.com. They advertise hassle-free returns also. If that’s the case then maybe I’ll just keep the originals on. They still work and hold the boot up, but they’re definitely weaker than a brand new pair. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tailgate...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 just found another OEM one!

Thanks for the advice chaps, will let you know how I get on. :thumbs up:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genu...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 original OEM one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boot-Gas...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0 These are also good! Had one on the front for 2 years now. Just found OEM one

Last edited:
I ordered a set of ebay a couple af years ago. I also got a set of the emerald struts that open the boot fully when u use the key fob but I found they put the bottom of the boot out of place as there must be to much pressure in the struts. So I'd stay away from those types of struts.

Reactions: s3mad_dude and MPH
Just to update you all on this - I eventually coughed up for two new original gas struts from Audi Tradition. The part number was: 8D9827552F and they fit perfectly. It’s so nice to have some decent struts again that actually have some lifting strength (and fit properly). The originals are 20 years old now so can’t really complain I suppose.

Last edited: