De-Chrome Front Grille

GTz

Reaction score
Anyone here de-chromed their standard pre-facelift grille?

Looking to spray mine black, but not sure if I should use a primer and lacure. Eventually will get a honeycomb one, if I can find one that fits my s-line.

Cheers

I had mine wrapped

Attachments

• 29472947_528239264243399_4113086284396756992_n.jpg
    29472947_528239264243399_4113086284396756992_n.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Sibmets
A mate did it dead cheap few years a go now was £25

I feel like wrap is way to go, paint will most likely chip over time. Unless you use PlastiDip (elastic, rubber like, can peal off if you change your mind) kind of paint, it will last longer. If you use wrap, glossy wraps are available as well.
Don't go too cheap about this, cheap my not last long and you want it look good, don't you ? ;-)

And when you swap your grille make sure to wrap / paint (use PlastiDip also) the aluminium crash bar behind the grille, otherwise it will be too visible through the grille.

Good luck,

Reactions: GTz
I feel like wrap is way to go, paint will most likely chip over time. Unless you use PlastiDip (elastic, rubber like, can peal off if you change your mind) kind of paint, it will last longer. If you use wrap, glossy wraps are available as well.
Don't go too cheap about this, cheap my not last long and you want it look good, don't you ? ;-)

And when you swap your grille make sure to wrap / paint (use PlastiDip also) the aluminium crash bar behind the grille, otherwise it will be too visible through the grille.

Good luck,

I wouldn’t mind a wrap, but I’m not too fond on the matte like finish on the grill. Probably asking a lot, but trying to get close to oem black grille look.

I’d thought I’d use one of these, https://www.halfords.com/motoring/p...rds-gloss-black-spray-paint-500ml-473132.html, as I got some left over as well as a primer and lacquer.

I’m guessing I’m better off just getting a gloss black plasti-dip instead? Would it require any other coating along side?

Will be painting the crash bar when I eventually swap, as the silver will be an eyesore haha.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited:
I feel like wrap is way to go, paint will most likely chip over time. Unless you use PlastiDip (elastic, rubber like, can peal off if you change your mind) kind of paint, it will last longer

Thinking of going down the PlastiDip route. Do you need to prep before applying the plastidip, (i.ev sanding, primer) or can I spray directly?

Thanks

Just make sure it’s clean, wash it well and degrease before spraying. Obviously mask off etc

Reactions: bronco and GTz
I did mine the other day with Halfords rubberised spray paint in black. I did the fog light surrounds too but they pop off dead easy
I suck at masking so took the bumper off and unclipped the chrome trim before painting it.
Took about an hour to take off and put back on. Spent longer painting it!
PXL 20220408 1327555252

Reactions: bronco and GTz
I did mine the other day with Halfords rubberised spray paint in black. I did the fog light surrounds too but they pop off dead easy
I suck at masking so took the bumper off and unclipped the chrome trim before painting it.
View attachment 253285
Looks good mate. I’m thinking of painting the whole grill gloss black, and don’t fancy taking off the whole bumper, haha.

One coat was enough?

Looks good mate. I’m thinking of painting the whole grill gloss black, and don’t fancy taking off the whole bumper, haha.

One coat was enough?
I did two as the first wasn't covering it totally.
Fair play, just be aware you'll paint the radiator/intercooler if you don't put something behind the grill to block them off.

Reactions: GTz

Car looks awesome ! What's the colour ? Meteor Grey ?

Cheers !

I’m looking to do the same, would 1 coat be enough using plastidip?

I used most of a can of the generic stuff from Halfords between the grill and fog light surrounds