Flashing engine management light / multiple misfires

s3mad_dude

Noggies ruuuule!
Reaction score
Hi Team,

I’ve been driving the 8L for the best part of a week and it’s been brilliant. But…..today I went to accelerate hard (foot flat) in second gear from about 2500rpm and when the revs got to about 4k or 4.5k (not too sure) the car started misfiring and the engine management light started flashing on/off consecutively and consistently about 20 times and then disappeared.

If I accelerate smoothly and with light to medium pedal pressure the car will accelerate up to 6k RPM fine, but if I try doing it with full throttle, the car misfires again etc. and EML flashes.

I’ve done a scan on VCDS (see below).

D0419-E8-C-3-ACF-4281-9845-2-E37-C42792-BF.jpg

The battery has been disconnected and reconnected multiple times over winter whilst in storage so ignore that code, and the boost pressure code has always been there on and off over the years so I guess I can assume it’s unrelated to the misfires. The car idles and is perfectly driveable at sensible revs and speeds and is normal.

I have had a coil pack failure before and the car would barely idle and was as rough as anything. This misfire is nowhere near as bad as the previous coil failure.

Are the symptoms I’m describing of a potential coilpack failure (or starting to fail)? I’ll try swapping the coilpack out first and see if the fault moves to cylinder 3. The spark plugs are only a year or so old and have only done about 1000 miles. It could be an injector I suppose too as it’s still running with the originals.

Hopefully it’s nothing too drastic. Will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmor00
I had a similar thing happen to me mate...mostly high revs/high gears, the car stuttered and a flashing of the EML. My mechanic checked it and it was a coilpack...he told me they should be changed in pairs, I think 1 & 3, 2 & 4.

hth

Thanks tcg, good to know. I’m hoping it’s just a coil issue too.

I had the recall done many years ago but they only replaced three. The coilpack that wasn’t replaced was a third party coilpack (Audi refused) which The AA fitted during a breakdown, ironically when the genuine Audi version had previously failed!

Last edited:
I had a very similar issue the other week but no EML, scanned it and it showed as misfire detected.

A new coil pack solved the problem for me.

Thanks everyone - I bought four new coil packs from Audi. I cleared the codes and replaced the coil on cylinder number 2 and went for a quick test drive. Pleased to say the misfire has gone now and I’m back to full performance. Woohoo - Just in time for Simply Audi at Beaulieu tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian W
Good news mate, a simple coilpack can cause no end of paranoia with these cars.