eli_S38V

Reaction score
This is for anyone having issues with their headlights/DRL/Fog lights ect on their Audi A3/S3/RS3 8V. There could a be a number of possible causes for your fault/faults, but this was my issue. Mine began with an intermittent/sporadic adaptive headlight fault. I thought nothing of it at first as is quite a common fault, easy fix. Until the other day, other lights stopped working too. The only remaining lights I had working were the dipped beam headlights. I went through the normal fault finding processes, checked fuses, fault codes (which couldn't pin point the issue), physically took the headlight units out to visually check the connections. Finally, checked the body control module. The images attached show water damage/corrosion I found inside the BCM plug socket and the actual plug itself (harness side), mostly likely cause of the issue. The Route cause is still unknown as I couldn't find any other evidence of water or moisture. could have been a build up of condensation from the AC perhaps. Unfortunately, I will need to replace the BCM because one of the connectors has completely snapped off due to the corrosion. I haven't replaced the BCM yet, but I will update here with the final result when I have. If anyone has an issue with similar symptoms, please share.

Attachments

• 20220406_114342.JPG
    20220406_114342.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 337
  • 20220406_113946.JPG
    20220406_113946.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 238
Reactions: brown, s3mad_dude, AlS3BE and 1 other person
Thanks I’ve had a similar issue I haven’t got to the bottom of, side lights (drl’s) and indicators not working, also main beam, faults said it couldn’t communicate with the range control module, swapped that out with another with same part no but same issue, also checked fuses and checked live feed. All looked fine, will look into what you say, if you do fix it please let me know !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: eli_S38V
An update on this,swapping out the BCM fixed the problems, did have to get the new used BCM coded to my car but it looks to have it fixed alll the issues.

No idea how it got damp tho, very strange

Reactions: eli_S38V
An update on this,swapping out the BCM fixed the problems, did have to get the new used BCM coded to my car but it looks to have it fixed alll the issues.

No idea how it got damp tho, very strange

That's excellent news, did you code it yourself?

Apologies for the delay..I replaced the BCM yesterday and it has fixed the issues! The new module just needs coding in as the keys fobs are no longer linked to the car. Either because I replaced the module, or because I disconnected the batteries to do the job

That's excellent news, did you code it yourself?

I had to get someone with the software to do it remotely, was a friend of a friend so don’t have contact details but I would imagine one of the retrofit companies could do it.

The config from the original BCM has to be backed up and then the new BCM has to be flashed and the config from the original copied down to it, that way all the settings work as before, I have VC, tech pack, etc

But thank you for the heads up on the BCM being the issue

I have this same issue and took it to Audi for a diag. They called out 'coolant migration' from the coolant reservoir pins back to the BCM connector. They wanted to change the BCM, coolant reservoir and several pins in the BCM connector.
Anyone with LHD get the module out? Before I start taking panels out.