should battery light show when I turn key before starting?

Alwayssomething

Reaction score
Because mine does not and I’m having issues with alternator only charging after I’ve hit the revs (then charges on idle) . I’ve read the blue wire basically comes from one side of the battery light on dash to activate the alternator, has anyone any idea where this goes under Bonet so I can check it’s not broken, I’m going to short it too earth tomorrow I’ve managed to remove the plug (horrible location) it looks Clean in there. I’m thinking maybe the voltage regulator isn’t letting it earth out, or accept the voltage in????
Any help would be great I want to sell car and I’d rather fix it or at least know so I can sell the buyer.

Yes then goes out once started as charging

Mmmm. Deffo something up. The blue cable must go via a relay someplace for it to swap from being a ground to being active, just where.

If anyone can confirm for me. If the lamp on the dash has blown would this or would this not affect the exciting of the alternator?

If you're having issues with the alternator not charging correctly, then this must be the place to start, surely? Get a direct measurement off the alternator with the engine running. If it's not within spec, replace it , then see what happens with the dash light from there.

It does charge as it should but I must blip the accelerator once to activate it. Otherwise it’s fine.

So it’s not the battery had that tested, it’s not the alternator as this puts out 14v at idle after the first rev of car. I took instrument cluster out but doesn’t look like one can even change the battery lamp, probably led soldered on circuit board. Checked every fuse in car so unless one is missing it ain’t that. Still no battery warning light on ignition start up and no voltage to either of the two wires at alternator. Has any one got a picture of wiring diagram for this section, every time I search this I get older cars where exciter wire is fed from cluster bulb but I can’t see it being this straight forward on this car.
can’t find a fuse that’s specific to the battery light either. Found an alternator wiring loom online so I can trace at least engine bay side where the two wires go but it seems massively unlikely they are both broken.
Anyone any idea. As it stands it works fine but it’s really strange.